addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board L.A. Foodies+ Discussion Forum › Steak au Poivre Sammie

Steak au Poivre Sammie

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 5,163
For lunch, I looked in my fridge and decided to make a Steak au Poivre sandwich as I was too lazy to make a potato side dish. In the fridge I pulled out my boneless ribeye steak, king oyster mushrooms, orange bell pepper, onion, garlic, green peppercorns along with the cognac, half and half (no heavy cream or cream fraiche) and this is what I whipped up for my lunch!

I had an uninvited visitor stop over today, probably looking for one of the rabbits or squirrels that share my yard with me...

I've made Steak au Poivre enough times, I don't need to look up the recipe anymore and I had to modify it to fit my low sodium diet by not using any salt when I rubbed the black pepper into the beef before sauteeing. After cooking the steak and the condiments, I removed all from the pan and added the Cognac to the pan... shucks, it didn't flame up! Made the au poivre sauce with the butter and half and half and then added some more black pepper and a small amount of my reduced sodium salt. This reduces the sodium of how I would normally cook this by about 75% and I was very pleased with the result.

Love the king oyster mushrooms as they don't shrink much and with the copious amount of black pepper I used, that completely masks the slightly bitter aftertaste the reduced sodium salt (50% potassium chloride) has.

AAaaaah! A perfect medium rare! I used mayo on both buns and voila! This sammie beats most any gourmet burger at a cost of under $4 and it is compliant with my low sodium diet!