align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board New Event Announcements and or Changes to Events › Meetup details changed: Observatory Hike & Potluck Picnic - Griffith Park Ho

Meetup details changed: Observatory Hike & Potluck Picnic - Griffith Park Hollywood

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Hello Foodies!

I'm feeling pretty good these days and so it's time I start increasing my exercise program. So, I've decided to up the mileage and gain and let's do a nice beginners hike. In my present condition, this might be a solid workout and should take 2-3 hours round trip so we will need to meet earlier and cut the coffee break. Please go to the event posting and review the other changes I've made to this event. I'd like to see at least a dozen members sign up for the picnic and at least 5-6 do the hike with me, I think it should be a lot of fun the whole day!

UPDATE: Hike Changed to the Observatory - Meeting Time now 9:00am

MORNING HIKE ~ 3 miles/600 ft. gain. Meet at 9:00 am and we start hiking at 9:15 am. Looking at a topo map, it appears that we could hike over to the Observatory with a little extra effort. I've NEVER hiked this trail/hike so I think we should explore this adventure together! It's nearly 3 miles round trip and about 500-600 feet of altitude gain. A perfect beginners hike for me. My days of backpacking 15-20 miles w/6,000' gain/day maybe gone and this hike will probably give me a great workout so hopefully the weather will be a bit cooler as we approach the fall season. This hike, we will hike past the Bat Cave and upon our return, if we have time, we can explore it if members wish, but we must focus on achieving our primary objective and that is to reach the Observatory. Sorry, I've got to cut out the coffee break as this hike will eat up all out time in advance of the picnic. For many years, I used to be a Sierra Club Hiking Leader, WTC (Sierra Club Wilderness Travel Course) Group Leader and Examiner for Rock Skills (Tests potential Leaders rock skills). In the past, I've taught hundreds of SC members wilderness skills, i.e. map & compass, snow travel, rock climbing basics, advanced leading rock climb workshops and more. So don't worry, we won't get lost... I hope...

Hiking Essentials: Bring 1-2 quarts of water depending on the heat, a bite to eat or power bars, windbreaker (check weather before), hat, sunglasses and sunscreen. Hiking shoes or outdoor running shoes should be fine. Clothing: Probably shorts and a tank top, sports bra or t-shirt will be fine.This will be at a beginners pace, no tiger hikers please.

If you want to sleep in, come later for the picnic at 11:30am and maybe check out the cave after lunch. This small park is part of Griffith. From here, you could hike up to a hidden waterfall, Observatory, Hollywood Sign, Mt Hollywood, Mt. Lee and to virtually all points of interest in Griffith Park.

I've updated this Meetup. For more details, see the full listing:
http://www.meetup.com/Foodies/events/31046201/­

When: Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:00 AM

Where: Bronson Canyon - Griffith Park
2800 Canyon Dr
Los Angeles, CA 90068

Event Fee: $1.00 per person at the potluck picnic

If the changes affect your plans to attend, please take a moment to update your RSVP. (You can RSVP "No" or "Yes".)

You can always get in touch with me through the Contact Us link on Meetup.