L.A. Foodies Message Board New Event Announcements and or Changes to Events › LA Gang Tour "saving lives, creating jobs, rebuilding communities) Sat 10/6

LA Gang Tour "saving lives, creating jobs, rebuilding communities) Sat 10/6 9:15 AM

Carol R.
user 5374034
Los Angeles, CA
This is just a remender, If you haven't gone on this tour you are in for a treat.  I have to give them a head count THIS Sunday (tomorrow) by 3 PM.  If you have signed up and not paid, please do so today so I can consider you confirmed.  I have written instructions as to how to pay by pay pal and not incur a fee.  Click on this link for details or read info. below.  I will be at Darrell's Hop Li party so feel free to come up to me with any questions.  Please join us...........you won't be dissapointed!

http://www.meetup.com/Foodies/events/83601512/­

Here is the scoop:

LA Gang Tours has been featured in The NY Times, CNN, NBC, NPR and The LA Times.

"About the tour, the goals are all positive and he's not trying to glorify gangs. Alfred's main goal is "Let's stop the gang violence." He wants to do the right thing. He's the real deal." LAPD Captain Mark Olvera

In August I had the awesome experience of attending The LA Gang Tour. This is a bus tour and we will be able to get off of the bus several times during the 3 hour tour. We will also be able to ask the former gang member/s, giving the tour, anything we would like and have our picture taken with them at one of the stops.

This was a life changing experience for me and the coordinator has agreed to do a private tour for us Saturday Oct. 6 from 9:30 AM-12:30 PM. We will meet at 9:15 to check in. There is plenty of street parking or you can park in the lot of the Dream Center (with which they are associated.)

At a few stops, several former gang members aboard the bus took the microphone to testify to life on the streets, something several tourists said they found to be the most riveting part of the tour.

Some of the places we will go are So. Central LA, Watts, the projects, the Art District and Watts Tower. If you are concerned with security/safety check out "Safe Passage" on their link.

The tour is run by former gang members who help inner city young adults. It is truly a moving and fascinating experience and the money goes to a great cause.

"Our goal with LA GANG TOURS is to use the profits from the tours to create jobs and provide opportunities for the residents of South Central, Los Angeles. We believe that educating people from around the world about the Los Angeles inner city lifestyle, gang involvement and solutions is a vital step towards a peaceful existence. This project will create opportunities to contribute to the economic health of South Central and the tools needed to access the American market." ­

For additional information on the tour please check out or call me at 310-505-9614 (I will not be reachable by phone monday or Tues. - email only.

www.lagangtours.com­

www.dreamcenter.org/about-us/­

Normally the price of the tour is $100. Our price is $65. for this private tour. Please pay via Pay Pal to robcointl@aol.com­. Please click on "send money" enter the amount, $65.00 and my email address, then click on "personal," then "payment owed" so no fee is deducted. If you do not use Pay Pal you can contact me directly about sending a check. After the money is received you will be confirmed. Please note: because this is a private tour there is no place on their website to submit payment through the tour company.

They usually only offer tours during the summer months but have agreed to do this private tour for us. I need to give them a head count by Sat. Sept 29 so if you plan to attend please sign up now.

Since I have been on this tour before please don't hesitate to contact me at robcointl@aol.com­ if you have any questions.

If you are interested in having lunch after I will post a place to meet. Please let me know if that is of interest to you. Please tell your friends and family....they are welcome to join us.

The people on our bus agreed that the tour was an eye-opening experience that gave them an entree to a world that they probably never could have visited on their own......A really moving experience!

change­