align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board L.A. Foodies+ Discussion Forum › My Pot Roast Recipe

My Pot Roast Recipe

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 5,339
Recipe: Serves 4-6 adults

3lb boneless chuck roast (find a nicely marbled one if you can.
1 package Lipton Onion Soup mix
2 stalks celery, coarsely cut
4 carrots, peeled coarse cut
1 medium onion, medium sliced
1 large sweet potato, unpeeled cut into 1/2 inch rounds
1-2 King Oyster Mushrooms (found in Asian markets. Love these as they don't shrink yet absorb flavors)
1-2 lb baby white potatoes unpeeled, cut in half (they were on hand, I prefer reds if I'm out shopping for this dish)
5 cloves garlic (I LOVE garlic and if I had had more, I'd have used more, LOL)
(Note: I would have added red bell peppers and or sweet apples if I had them or the room in the dish)
garlic powder
onion powder
fresh ground black pepper (I forgot or I would have also added some stems of green peppercorns I have)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (regular is fine, but I now only use whole grains when possible)
2 tables of oil for browning the meat (I used Avocado oil as it has a high smoke point and lots of Omega 3's like Olive oil) but any vegetable/peanut oil is also fine
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Cognac (optional... I love steak au poivre so I figured it would be a good flavoring) you could use a red wine, bourbon even beer if you wish.
aluminum foil (if you are shopping for this recipe, get the double wide foil to create a better seal, great for turkeys too)
large glass/metal baking pan (biggest I have is a 13x9 inch pan) I'd have used a bigger one if I had one so I could jam more veggies in...

Preparation:
Set (preheat) the oven according to your timetable. 350 degrees about 2.5-3 hours, 325 degrees about 3.5-4 hours, 275 degrees 5-6 hours, 250 degrees about 8 hours. NOTE: Times can vary widely depending on your oven. I usually preheat the oven an extra 25-50 degrees to compensate for putting in the roast and then reduce to the cooking temperature and then set timer. When the aroma fills the house, that is usually a good sign the roast is ready. Try not to fuss with it or you lose too much of the heat and add to your cooking time.

Add flour, black pepper, onion/garlic powder to a large mixing bowl to apply to the beef. Rinse, pat dry beef and then coat the meat with the seasoned flour mixture. No added salt needed as the soup mix contains plenty and the flavors are intensified because of this roasting method. Sear/brown the beef in a large, heavy skillet... cast iron one is ideal if you have it.

Clean, wash, peel, cut veggies. Do potatoes last so they don't turn brown. (I never peel my potatoes because the most important nutrients are in the skin.)

Line baking pan with foil for easy of cleaning and for sealing in the juices/moisture of the meat and veggies to create a super moist, juicy, tender roast and tender veggies. Ideally the meat should be tender but not falling apart and the veggies tender, not crisp and not falling apart but holding their shape. Use a LOT of foil so that you can seal up all the ingredients into a somewhat air tight package to keep all the moisture in.

Next, add 1/3 of the soup mix to the bottom of the pan, then placed the seared meat on top of the mix. Add the veggies onto the sides of the dish. Pour the Cognac over the meat/veggies. Sprinkle the rest of the soup mix on the meat and the veggies and add about a 1/2 cup of water to the dish

Cooking for just myself, I don't really care how it looks... just that it tastes good. If you are cooking for guests then I'd probably pour off the juices, remove the fat with one of those fat removing cup thingies and then create a gravy with corn starch. If you want to get really fancy, I'd strain out the particles from the juices before making the gravy. If you are one of the lucky ones that loves a nice rich fatty gravy... by all means leave the fat in the gravy for maximum flavor and enjoyment!

Let the meat rest loosely covered at least 15-20 minutes before carving so all the juices don't run out of the meat losing some of the tenderness and juiciness.

As you can see, my cooking is all about options so I never cook a dish the same way twice... And why I hate writing recipes because they turn into a manifesto...

Hope this helps... now get out and cook something! Oh, FYI Ralphs has Choice Boneless Chuck Roasts on sale for $3/lb (last day today). I had to buy one because they were beautifully marbled and cheap but unfortunately, it will go into the freezer for a future roast. I always prefer to cook with fresh, not frozen meats of course but I just couldn't pass it up as they looked so good!
Warren
KDog
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1,076
Thanks for sharing!
Andree
winegrrl
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 20
Yum! Thanks Darrell!