L.A. Foodies Message Board L.A. Foodies+ Discussion Forum › Limoncello and Mint Lemonade Recipes

Limoncello and Mint Lemonade Recipes

Stephanie
navanax1
Redwood City, CA
Post #: 1
Meetup annoyingly won't let me send more than 12 messages a day to people. So anyone who did'nt get an email regarding the Limoncello event will have to find it here. It also won't let me send out to 'all attendees' after the event. Seems Meetup is still behind the curve.

------------------

What you did today

- scrub 15 organic lemons with dish soap n' cool water
- remove zest with a peeler, micrograter or zester, avoid removing bitter white pith
- pour out about a cup of vodka/everclear, and stuff the lemon zest into the bottle
- pour the extra liquid back into the bottle, leaving an inch or so space at the top.
- Put cap on tightly, give it a good shake, date the bottle, leave it under the sink or other dark place for 2 weeks. Up to 5 weeks is fine, don't worry if you forget about it.

What you'll do in 2 weeks

- stir to combine 2 cups of water and 2 cups of white sugar in a saucepan
- stirring occasionally, bring to a boil. Let it boil for 5 minutes. It should be clear. If you use less water, it may start to caramelize before the 5 minutes is up. Boiling it breaks some of the sucrose (table sugar) into glucose and fructose, both of which are sweeter in taste.
- turn off heat and let it cool until room temperature. Pour into a large bowl or pitcher
- pour your (now very yellow) liquid into the large bowl or pitcher, and scrap/shake out the lemon peel. You can use a chopstick, fondue fork, whatever is handy.
- Stir until the sugar syrup mixes well with the vodka and is no longer sitting at the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour as much of it as you can back into the bottle. The rest can be stored in glass or plastic. Put both containers in the freezer (they will stay liquid, no risk of breaking the bottle).

To serve-

- drink straight as a digestif in a small glass. Best if you're sitting on a porch looking out over your vineyards.
- In a full collins/pint glass, mix 3 ice cubes, a shot glass full of Limoncello and top with spritzer water to rim.

Note: Another simple syrup ratio is 1 c. water, to 2 cup sugar. If you want to do it this way, bring it to a boil, then let it only simmer for 4 minutes, not boil. It takes a bit more watching because less water means it will caramelize faster.

Cucumber Mint Lemonade - makes 1 gallon

1 english cucumber - scrubbed, skin on
3 cups fresh peppermint leaves - washed (damp is fine)
3 c. lemon juice
3 c. simple syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt

Boil 3 cups of water. Turn off heat, dump 2 cups of mint leaves and 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice into water and let it steep for 10 minutes (If you don't use the lemon juice the water will turn brown, though it won't affect the taste)

Chop cucumber into 1" chunks, add 1 cup of mint leaves and 1 c. lemon juice. Process with a stick blender or food processor until slushy. Refridgerate for 2 hours.

Into a 1 gallon container, strain the mint tea. Strain the cucumber mixture through a fine strainer or cheesecloth, add to gallon container. Add remaining lemon juice, simple syrup, salt, and top with enough water to fill container. Give it a good shake and chill until ice cold.

Serve over ice or with seltzer water if you'd like it more diluted.
norma s.
NormaSerrano
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 3
Stephanie, Thanks for posting the recipe here and the Cucumber Mint Lemonade is so refreshing. You are a great host. Thanks Again.

Meetup annoyingly won't let me send more than 12 messages a day to people. So anyone who did'nt get an email regarding the Limoncello event will have to find it here. It also won't let me send out to 'all attendees' after the event. Seems Meetup is still behind the curve.

------------------

What you did today

- scrub 15 organic lemons with dish soap n' cool water
- remove zest with a peeler, micrograter or zester, avoid removing bitter white pith
- pour out about a cup of vodka/everclear, and stuff the lemon zest into the bottle
- pour the extra liquid back into the bottle, leaving an inch or so space at the top.
- Put cap on tightly, give it a good shake, date the bottle, leave it under the sink or other dark place for 2 weeks. Up to 5 weeks is fine, don't worry if you forget about it.

What you'll do in 2 weeks

- stir to combine 2 cups of water and 2 cups of white sugar in a saucepan
- stirring occasionally, bring to a boil. Let it boil for 5 minutes. It should be clear. If you use less water, it may start to caramelize before the 5 minutes is up. Boiling it breaks some of the sucrose (table sugar) into glucose and fructose, both of which are sweeter in taste.
- turn off heat and let it cool until room temperature. Pour into a large bowl or pitcher
- pour your (now very yellow) liquid into the large bowl or pitcher, and scrap/shake out the lemon peel. You can use a chopstick, fondue fork, whatever is handy.
- Stir until the sugar syrup mixes well with the vodka and is no longer sitting at the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour as much of it as you can back into the bottle. The rest can be stored in glass or plastic. Put both containers in the freezer (they will stay liquid, no risk of breaking the bottle).

To serve-

- drink straight as a digestif in a small glass. Best if you're sitting on a porch looking out over your vineyards.
- In a full collins/pint glass, mix 3 ice cubes, a shot glass full of Limoncello and top with spritzer water to rim.

Note: Another simple syrup ratio is 1 c. water, to 2 cup sugar. If you want to do it this way, bring it to a boil, then let it only simmer for 4 minutes, not boil. It takes a bit more watching because less water means it will caramelize faster.

Cucumber Mint Lemonade - makes 1 gallon

1 english cucumber - scrubbed, skin on
3 cups fresh peppermint leaves - washed (damp is fine)
3 c. lemon juice
3 c. simple syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt

Boil 3 cups of water. Turn off heat, dump 2 cups of mint leaves and 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice into water and let it steep for 10 minutes (If you don't use the lemon juice the water will turn brown, though it won't affect the taste)

Chop cucumber into 1" chunks, add 1 cup of mint leaves and 1 c. lemon juice. Process with a stick blender or food processor until slushy. Refridgerate for 2 hours.

Into a 1 gallon container, strain the mint tea. Strain the cucumber mixture through a fine strainer or cheesecloth, add to gallon container. Add remaining lemon juice, simple syrup, salt, and top with enough water to fill container. Give it a good shake and chill until ice cold.

Serve over ice or with seltzer water if you'd like it more diluted.

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4,571
Mine came out pretty good too! I thought it would last me forever, but it's now almost all gone... I put a shot glass in the freezer and then poured my limoncello straight into the glass and found it was great!

I made a vanilla infused vodka... haven't tried it yet.