A former member
Post #: 1
Hi All,

I'm new to the area and haven't had much of a chance to explore the food (mostly because I was waiting for that first paycheck!). What I have done quite a bit of since I moved here is play around with Sous Vide. I see that Darrell posted a couple things in the past about it. If you'd like to learn more, there is a lot of info on the web, just type Sous Vide into google.

I'm wondering if anyone else if cooking this way at home. My setup is pretty simple, a foodsaver vacuum bagger, a deep fryer that I've filled with water and calibrated on the unmarked part of the temperature dial, and a digital thermometer to double check the water temp. I'm planning to build this more precise temp controller soon so that I can try 72 hour ribs.

I would love to swap recipes, and maybe even try to organize a get together for folks interested in sampling food made with this technique.

I have had great luck with slow cooking chuck until the connective tissue turns to gelatin, so it's as tender as a more expensive cut (well, almost) and still has all the awesome flavor of chuck.

-Josh
Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4,717
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Welcome Josh.

During the cooler months, I love to take a whole chuck/7 bone roast and simply wrap it in foil after sprinkling a package of Lipton's onion soup along with a sliced up onion, carrots, potatoes, bell peppers seal it up tightly and place it in a glass pyrex rectangular pan.

Depending on when I want it ready, I might cook it for 6-8 hours at 200-225 degrees, or for faster results 350 for a couple hours. Comes out super tender, moist, delicious and absolutely no tending to it. It's a whole meal in one pot. Or I'll cook up a pot of rice, make a gravy with all those delicious juices and it's great. Add a salad for a more balanced meal.
A former member
Post #: 2
I've heard of doing sous vide style by just using a low oven, I'm glad to hear it works. Maybe I'll try it when the weather cools down a little.

I saw your post about trying to do the water bath in a pot with a thermometer, I could never get that to work either. We tried it with one of the Turkey legs when I was home for Thanksgiving and it just came out weird, but my Dad and I found a deep fryer at Costco with a lot of blank space on the dial between the "Warm" setting and when the temperature numbers start. He had pretty good luck with that, especially for eggs (He loves poached eggs and he really loved eggs cooked at 147F). Anyway, when I got home I bought a fryer with a similar temperature dial (I think it was $20 at the drugstore) and it usually stays within 2 or 3 degrees, much less fussy.

By the way, I am planning to actually come to some LA foodies meetups in the near future, I just don't have budget for going out to eat right now.

-Josh