L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 9-18

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 9-18

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 9-18

Hello Foodies!

Hope you have a delicious weekend planned. The Domaine LA looks like a fun deal... Unfortunately I'm booked with the Meetup Organizers discussion panel on Sunday so I hope some of you make it over there and report back to us.

­Street Faire - This is a popular event... the featured chef and James Beard nominated cookbook author Robert Danhi has joined our group... he did RSVP YES... LOL Welcome Robert... we will see you there on the 29th!

Bubbly and Ludo's fried chicken - Now that Domain LA has its tasting license, owner Jill Bernheimer is offering her first tasting -- of celebratory bubbles -- three sparkling wines (a red, a white and a rose). And what goes better with sparkling wine than ... the LudoTruck's fried chicken? The first 20 paid tasters will get a coupon for a free meal at the truck. Sunday, Sept. 19, 2 to 5 p.m. (The LudoTruck will be parked outside from 2 to 4 p.m.) $12 per person for the tasting. 6801 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, (323) 932-0280, www.domaine547.com/store.

LobsterFests - 20,000 lobsters flown in from Maine... Really? Yet another overpriced festival event. $9 admission and $18 for a 1.25lb lobster meal and no doubt long waits to get to the food. I'd wager you could get a better meal for less at Red Lobster. Or go to Chinatown and you can usually find a $10 whole lobster dish. ABC Chinese Seafood Restaurant used to have a free lobster dish if you order an entree per person or something like that. Sorry, as many of you know I'm not a big fan of some festival events... First of all... why don't they feature our own, local Pacific Spiny Lobsters... I might be enticed for one of those bad boys... But... the bad news is that our local "bugs" cost about $18/lb vs about $5-9/lb for Maine bugs.

Nancy Silverton - I managed to talk to her briefly as all the speakers at the Zocalo event were swarmed by their friends and fans. I wanted to get an update on the new burger joint she was helping out with some friends of her's. I thought it was gonna be her place, but guess not... She said all the red tape has pushed it back until the Spring! That is INSANE! I also talked to her about our upcoming Burger Kitchen event and she said she hasn't been there yet but may get over there to check it out. Gang, we blew it... we should have motored over to Mozza or Street after the discussion... Next time...

TCM Traditional Chinese Medicine - Did you know... the motion sickness medicine Dramamine uses ginger in their formula? One test showed that ground ginger was MORE effective than Dramamine in their testing. Did you know Star Anise contains powerful anti-viral ingredients that are used for anti-viral drugs...

Offal Dinner - One of my dad's (and mine) favorite Chinese dishes is Oxtail stew. He'd rather have this stew than Peking Duck or pretty much any other banquet dish. His face would light up when I'd offer to cook this dish for him. It uses lots of ginger, star anise and garlic... all TCM ingredients. Also, oxtails are loaded with collagen, proteins and connective tissues, said to be good for arthritis and back pains. I've made a stew using a pressure cooker, traditional stovetop and slow cooker and all are good. I think the slow cooker is the best method if you have the time and patience as it requires a minimum of maintenance once you get add the veggies to the pot. Here's a recipe­ that looks pretty good. The only drawback with the slow cooker is you still should brown the meat on the stove before putting it in the slow cooker so it's an extra pot to clean for those (like me) that hate does. Pressure cooker method is a one pot meal, done in about 1/2 the time, but the high cooking heat (around 250+ degrees) really shrinks up the meat.

My Favorite Deals of the Day - Groupon MOCA's dual membership which includes reciprocal membership to 300 other museums.

Frugal Foodies - Many of us have lots of discount vouchers and need someone to share a meal with. Let's create a "clearing house" by members posting restaurants they have vouchers for that they would like to sell, buy or share. CLICK HERE

Event Hosts - Would an EH/AO like to host this event? @ Americana at Brand, enjoy an entertaining culinary competition between David LeFevre of Water Grill and Michael Cimarusti of Providence, courtesy of Cadillac’s partner Bon AppĂ©tit. Culinary demos at 11:30 AM, 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM. Date: 10/16/2010 - 10/17/2010 http://www.cadillacch...­

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

Daily Deals
Dealpop.com­ - Tango lessons, S.M.
Groupon.com­ MOCA Dual Membership -50%
BloomSpot.com­ - Fitness Classes
Tippr.com­ - Fitness Classes
SocialBuy.com­ - Atlantic Bar & Grill Hollywood
AtCost.com­
LivingSocial.com Japanese American Museum Champagne & Tea service included
BlackBoardEats.com­ - Angel's
Restaurant.com­ - 9/8/10 - 70% OFF Promo Discount Code = SPORK
Greatworkperks.com­ - $8 off LA County Fair Tix
Goldstar­