addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 10-16

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 10-16

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 10-16

Hello Foodies!

I'm selling my $21.50 Couscous Festival ticket for today's 11-2:30am session for $10 if anyone wants it. Email me asap, first to respond gets it. I'll go myself if no one wants it.

Foodies Give Back! - Thanks Aly for hosting the volunteer event with 15 members and eight 5 star ratings! I think we can and should do more. I've contacted Project Angelfood and will try to set up a monthly event we can volunteer for. With 2400 members, I'm sure we can support multiple charitable organizations. We can help make a difference, have fun and we don't always have to critique a meal. If you know of an organization that feeds the homeless, needy, seniors, vets, homebound and could use some volunteer manpower, I think we have enough members that would love to be of service. Personally, I used to do a lot of volunteer work (Lions Club/Hospital/Chamber of Commerce/etc.) and I miss it, to be honest.

Gourmet Fried Chicken? - I LOVE fried chicken! But, I don't love those $40 price tags for those gourmet FC dinners. I confess, I'm a frugal foodie... I've never cooked FC myself, but I've seen some kickass recipes and I'm confident that our members could cook up some awesome FC for a lot less than $5-10/piece. I would love to see a home cooking event and members would try different recipes and compare to Ludo's, Foundry, Campanile etc... Using my variation of Chef Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc's FC recipe, I've brined a 4lb batch of chicken drumsticks, so for lunch today, I'll fry them up and test them. This will be my first time frying chicken! The results were mixed... They were delicious, but I think I can do much better. My drumsticks were huge and in order to cook them fully, I have to fry them until they were nearly black on the outside. I suppose in the future I could fiddle with lower heat.

Darrell's Test Kitchen - About a month ago, I bought some red beets on sale, but never cooked them and they went South. A few days ago, I bought another bag, determined to cook them. I didn't know how or what to do with them, but I've seen some top chefs using them in savory (non-salad) dishes and they sounded so good. Let most people, I've only eaten the canned variety, both pickled and plain and virtually always enjoyed them in salads. So, yesterday after poaching a couple of eggs to go with my Hungarian bacon lardons I cooked... I used the leftover bacon fat to cook my beets that I boiled and peeled a few days ago. Before cooking them, I tasted them and indeed, they have a superior flavor than plain canned beets which have a slight aftertaste from the metal cans and preservatives. I tried them with balsamic vinegar and with restaurant bleu cheese dipping sauce and of course they were delicious. Then I sauteed them in the bacon fat and that added a whole nuther layer of flavors. Then I sauteed some fresh button mushrooms adding a pat of butter and then deglazing the pan with balsamic vinegar and combined with the beets and wow... I thought it was something really special. I think I'm gonna have to buy another big batch of beets, which I did... I can now see why the chefs are using this inexpensive but delicious ingredient as it goes with nearly any salad and can do savory as well.

Free Tickets For Supporting Members - I'm pleased to announce we will be receiving a few 1 day VIP passes to the upcoming Los Angeles Taste of the World Food Festival, Nov. 5-7 Website. If you are a Supporting Member and would like to get one of these VIP passes, please email me within 1 day and all who want the passes, I have 3 to give away and will put members names in a hat and draw 3 lucky names. I will hold onto the passes until about a week before the event in case your plans change and you cannot attend, I'll redraw. These passes retail for $40.00 each. The promoter will also be giving our groups a 50% discount. More on that later.

AO's Sunny, Terri and Todd will also receive VIP passes if they are available for posting the MOST events for our group. Thank you AO's! Please let me know if you can attend. If any of them cannot attend, I'll draw between our EO's and AO's.

Too bad, the 90% off Restaurant.com deal is gone. Now it's 70% off. I will no longer update the Restaurant.com link here as they change it so often and it's a bigger hassle than most to do so. However, they now have special graphic links that it automatically changes to the current deal in our Sponsors column, so just go to our web site "ABOUT" Page to get the current discount promo code when you use the link.

Happy B day to Melody Shoenfeld! She was the Leader of a social network site called MeetinLA which was before many of us discovered Meetup.com. I thought as a Bday gift to her, I'd give her a free plug... She's a pro personal fitness trainer and has trained celebs and even Jonathan Gold... yep, our foodie savant... She's good peeps, if you are looking for a trainer, she's your man... Click on her name.

Videos of the Day - Soft shelled crabs! Wow, chef Eric Ripert takes us from the crab traps to the holding tanks to the plate of soft shelled crabs. Damn, I don't think I buy frozen SS crabs after watching this video. This was the first time I've seen the crabs cooked whilst still alive. Click here to view The other video is Bobby Flay's Belgium Waffle Throwdown Click Here. Egads! I've never had waffles that looked so good! Perhaps next week's Test Kitchen projects.

Well, I've made the switch to Earthlink.net which is really Time Warner Cable/Internet. Considering TWC had hundreds of reviews and yet averaged only ONE star on Yelp... Ditto with Earthlink I was concerned about making the switch from my ATT DSL. I guess the only peeps writing reviews is the unhappy customers, the millions of the other customers don't bother to review... I'm pleased to report that I had an expert installation technician, he arrived on time, knew what the hell he was doing and finished the job efficiently and complied with my install requests. Damn, my 10mbs cable is FAST! Love it! Much faster than my 3mbs DSL that I ran wifi used to drive me crazy as my cordless phone and microwave oven disrupted my connection. Not anymore as now I'm directly plugged into the modem with an ethernet RJ11! Hallelujah! 10mbs, 1st 6 months at $30/month. LOVE IT!

Frugal Foodies - Post your groupons/vouchers on our forum that you wish to sell, buy or share. It's been working as I've sold a couple here.CLICK HERE

Just updated my groupons to share/trade http://www.meetup.com...­

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

UGH... Busy morning, no time to update the deal links. But Groupon has the Arboretum deal today which also has reciprocal admission to Descanso Gardens. Dual membership for $35. I bought it. Click on link below will work.

Daily Deals
Restaurant.com­
LivingSocial.com­
Dealpop.com­ -
Groupon.com­ - Arboreteum
BloomSpot.com­ -
Tippr.com­ -
SocialBuy.com­ -
AtCost.com­
BlackBoardEats.com­ -
Bogopod.com­ - Like BBE and Great Work Perks, free discounts, no prepays
Greatworkperks.com­