addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 10-31

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 10-31

Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Hello Foodies, Happy Halloween!

This is a short newsletter (for me) mainly wanted to announce that I have one VIP pass left and that I posted the festival as an event. Check out the posting, I've listed the hours and a partial list of 40+ restaurants and trucks that will be participating.

Taste of the World Festival - This looks like it will be an outstanding event. I have remaining, a single Sunday VIP Pass left 11/7. If you want to receive this last pass, please send me an email that you want the VIP Pass ($40 value). Preference given to Supporting members and Event Organizers. Otherwise, you can get a 50% discount from their website if you use our special promo discount code in all LOWERCASE type in --- foodies

Fall Season Foods - Now that the hot weather is gone, it's time to change up and I like to enjoy the hotter, spicier foods and slow cooked dishes. Sichuan hot pots, Jitlada Southern Thai cuisine, Orochon Rocket Fuel Ramen, Northern Chinese cuisines, tamales and more soups, stews and roasts for the holidays. Recipes using winter squash is one challenge for me as I've never cooked with them, only summer squashes. I've been looking at some of the soups that look delicious and I saw at Superior they have a winter squash 7lbs/$1. That will make it cheap to experiment!

Member Home Events Ideas - Any volunteers to host a home cooking event? Tamale making is fun and best done in a group. Cheese making workshops (I'd like to try to make hard cheeses as well as burrata). Shabu Shabu or Sichuan Hot pot? Cookbook swap and potluck? Wine tasting? Holiday dinner?

­55 Degrees Wine & Cheese Next Saturday 11/6 is our premiere event. Should be great fun. Right now we have 16 members RSVP'ed between both groups. This is one of the coolest wine bars I've seen. Click on the title to read the whole writeup.

Darrell's Test Kitchen - Verde jalapeno chorizo con papas y espinaca tortilla de patata (green jalapeno, chorizo w/chorizo & potato omelet)... muy delicioso! Other ingredients included garlic, onion, lime, avocado, green onion... anything green in my fridge as well as Mexicano crema fresca and Cotija cheeses went in... It was really good! The Salvadorean jalapeno chorizo I found at Superior Grocers service deli so I had to try it. It's really fun going beyond the ole mundane ground beef tacos I used to make with the package spices. I have lots of left over chorizo/potato filling to make pambazos, deep fried quesadillas, burritos or tacos. By combining the potato with the chorizo, it makes your expensive chorizo go a long way and lower the cost and the potato just soaks up and absorbs all those delicious Mexican spices.

Speaking of tacos, last night for dinner, I made ground beef tacos and I used the small truck tortillas I also picked up at Superior. I was lazy and just wanted to tear open a taco seasoning spice pack, but I was out... Okay, then... time to fire up the ole internet and there's of course a plethora of recipes, but I just grabbed the first one at http://www.mex-recipe...­ to use as an ingredient list and basically just seasoned to taste and added a few other ingredients to make it my own. Their ingredient list was... Ground beef, Salt, Chili powder, Paprika, Cumin, Garlic powder or 2 cloves, Bell pepper, Onion. I used all of them and also used... Liquid Smoke (Hickory), jalapeno (fresh), fresh tomato, tomato sauce, cracked black pepper and it came out great. Probably better than the spice mix. I could have added a can of chipotle peppers, but I've been using those a lot lately so I decided to pass on that ingredient. For condiments I had lettuce, green onion, crema fresca, cotija cheese on hand. Very simple but delicious.

Frugal Foodies - Post your groupons/vouchers on our forum that you wish to sell, buy or share. It's been working as I've sold a couple here.CLICK HERE

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

Deal Of The Day - 41% off the famous Geisha House in Hollywood or at Ketchup in LA. BloomSpot­ - $59 for $100 at Geisha House

Daily Deals­ 80% Discount - Code = TREAT - Wine Cruise - Long Beach­ -­ - Sunset Gondola - Huntington Beach­ - Geisha House or Ketchup - Hollywood. Also Eva­ - 67% OFF Photo Canvas 16x20 Enlargement­­­ -­ - Like BBE and Great Work Perks, free discounts, no prepays­

Okay, that's it for today!

Darrell Lee