addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Baby Makapuu to Kailua Beach Park - 8 miles

  • Mar 24, 2013 · 8:00 AM


Baby Makapuu to Kailua Beach Park  - 8 miles

Sunday,  March 24th, We’ll be starting at Baby Makapuu and paddling first to the Mokulua Islands where we’ll take a break, do a bit of exploration, shoot the slots, paddle the cove, do some cliff jumping??  – all if winds & surf permitting – and then  paddle over to Kailua Beach and take out there. 

Another benefit of this route is that if you’d like to paddle, but don’t want to do the whole 7 or 8 mile route, you can start at Baby Makapuu and take out at Bellows beach, or start at Bellows Beach and meet us as we paddle by, and take out at Kailua after enjoying the Mokes for a while.

So, Here’s the plan:

We’ll meet at Kaupo Beach Park, 300 Kalanianaole Hwy, across the road from Sea Life Park (very West end of parking lot) at 8:00AM .  After offloading boats, we’ll shuttle cars to Kailua Beach Park at 8:20.  After driving back to Kaupo Beach, we should be paddling away from shore at approx. 9:15 and finishing at Kailua Beach at about 1:00 O’clock or so depending on how much time we hang out at the Mokes. 

For this route winds can be anywhere from 5 MPH to 25 MPH out of the East/Northeast.  So, if it’s 10 MPH it’ll be a pleasant day with a slight push from behind and toward shore.  If it’s 25 MPH it’ll be a strong push from the same direction, but with lots of surf on the reef.   The nice thing about this route is that we can stay inside the reef in the protected water, or go out side for a bit of surfing, or head out to Rabbit Island. And then turn over toward the Mokes.  We’ll make our choice depending on conditions and whichever way we decide to go, it’ll be a fun day on the water so we’ll see ya there!!

 Know your capabilities, limits, the conditions and check your equipment before you go. Sun Screen, hat and water are a must. Sun glasses, gloves and dry bag are a good idea. Remember to stay in sight of the group and tell others if you are leaving. You alone are responsible for your health and safety. To check conditions, go to:    and check the surf and wind forecast to see what it’s saying at that time. Then, knowing the latest forecast, we can all make the decision about whether to come out for this paddle or to go for a paddle somewhere else, or stay home and clean the yard.  Be sure to check the Meetup – Hua Iki site for any changes and updates and to change your RSVP if you change your mind. 


Questions: Call Bob at the store[masked] or on the morning of the paddle, you’ll be able to reach Bob on his cell at 375-1030.

Terry can be reached on his cell:[masked]


Join or login to comment.

  • Jim K.

    In retrospect, maybe should've kept my mouth shut about "hope there's no rain"… Truly I didn't care about the weather, as I was focused on paddling an exciting boat, a demo Stellar S18S from Twogoods. For any of you looking for a exceptionally well constructed, speedy yet very stable boat, this is it! Just talk to Bob…

    March 25, 2013

  • Ken M.

    Sorry we can't make it.

    March 24, 2013

    • Bob

      Thanks for letting me know this morning that you couldn't make it. That helps so we won't end up waiting for you. See ya nex time!!

      March 24, 2013

    • Ken M.

      Sure thing -- hope you all had fun out there! I really need to get a single so I can still go if my wife can't make it...

      March 24, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Just got called in for work :( don't they know it is Sunday and I have plans??

    March 24, 2013

    • Bob

      HI Tracy, bummer, but the weather ended up being not so good anyway. Hope to see ya on the next outing!!

      March 24, 2013

  • Bob

    Well, It was clear that everyone looked at the forecast - unlike us lucky 3 diehards!! (actually we looked a the forecast, but decided to go anyway). Terry, Jim and I did the paddle and although the conditions wern't drasticly bad, they were shall we say, not the pleasant, warm, sunny day we all look for! Winds were in the 10-15 MPH range out of the North which made for a cold headwind. It rained the entire time and for approx 1/2 hour we couldn't see land anywhere. So, for diehards, it was a great paddle,as they all are, but if ya like only the warm sunny, calm days it's good you didn't attend this one! So, we'll look for nicer weather on April 13 for our Kailua Beach to the Mokulua Islands picnic and BBQ ! I'll post some pics of the paddle today so you can all see what you missed!! :)

    March 24, 2013

  • Jim K.

    I Look forward to seeing all of you, and hope for no rain . . .

    March 22, 2013

  • Terry C.

    May do the half course. Will decide on day of paddle

    March 16, 2013

  • Veronique

    We won't be available that week-end.

    March 8, 2013

3 went

Our Sponsors

  • Twogood Kayaks, Hawaii, Inc.

    Great Kama'aina discounts and chance to kayak around Oahu 808-262-5656

  • Jason Anthenien 808-428-1271

    Protect your loved ones with long term financial planning. Mention P.

  • Jack Nagel C.S.C.S 915-471-3488

    Be strong, get fit, have fun -with Personal Fitness Trainer Mention P

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy