Fort Worth Over 50 Social Group Message Board › group membership payment

group membership payment

A former member
We only have until July 26th to have someone set up their credit/debit card for payment of our meetup dues. I should have set up a system early on for everyone to contribute but I never got around to it so just paid all the dues myself. I can no longer do this and I believe this issue is why we're having a hard time getting someone to commit to being the group organizer

I checked to see if we could set up a PayPal account but that is not an option. Meetup requires the organizer or co-organizer to set up a credit/debit card for dues to be drawn from. One thought I had was that someone could set up a special account (or use their own) for dues to be drawn from that was associated with a PayPal account for members to pay into.

Some groups charge monthly dues. Some also charge event fees to participants. The dues are not that much for as many members as we have.

I've set our account to show all financial transactions to the whole membership - no names or accounts would show up. So all finances would be transparent to the group.

Please give your input and let's get this solved!

A former member
Post #: 5
Hi Cindy,

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time finding someone to step up & take over the group. And, I'm disappointed. Although I didn't make it to the last couple of gatherings, I had enjoyed meeting the people that were at the others.

Due to my work & travel schedule, I just don't feel like I can take it & give it the appropriate attention.

I will say that my personal opinion about the costs is this...I'd hate to see a set amount to be paid to join or monthly dues. My suggestion would be - if they continue to have only one big gathering a month, then at that time divide the monthly fee by however many people are there & have people chip in. It might just be $1 or maybe $2 depending on the attendance. That way a joining fee wouldn't be a deterrent to new people joining & the people active in the group could help the organizer with the costs.

I also think that regardless of how many people are there that the minimum amount chipped in should be $1 - if there's extra, the organizer deserves for the work they put into it - regardless of how little time it may take them.

I hope someone steps up to do this!

A former member
Post #: 6
P.S. I won't use PayPal for anything - so I don't know how good an idea it is to require people to pay anything in that way. But then again, maybe I'm an odd ball. Ha