Fredericksburg Secular Humanists Message Board › Looking for a Volunteer Opportunity

Looking for a Volunteer Opportunity

John C.
JohnC.
Stafford, VA
Post #: 19
I am looking for a very specific opportunity. I would like to volunteer my labor specifically in performing HVACR work (heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration) for individuals or families who are having a hard time financially, for humanist or secularist organizations (buildings or properties owned or rented), or for other facilities performing humanitarian work, such as providing shelter for the homeless, providing or serving food for the hungry, etc.

I am taking classes in HVACR, and I work in construction management full time. I am not very experienced in HVACR, however. I can solder, braze, do a little bit of wiring, and I have a universal refrigerant certification.

Now for the hard part: I am looking for someone with a Master’s HVACR certification/license who would be willing to oversee my work, teach me the trade, and could provide certifications to the Virginia Department of Occupational Responsibility for credit toward getting my journeyman’s certification. The ideal situation would be a Master who is interested in also performing charitable work, if only by checking my work and giving some instruction. Because I can’t afford to quit my day job, I would have to do my work pretty much on weekends and holidays. I’m not asking for much, am I? [ Chuckle here ]

A further ideal would be to work with a supply house that would be willing to donate parts and/or equipment. I live in the general area of Fredericksburg; so I would like to be able to work in areas north of Richmond to say, Alexandria or so, and between King George/Dahlgren to Wilderness, Orange, Warrenton, etc.

If you are an HVACR Master who has any interest in such a hair-brained scheme as I have described, please contact me here via e-mail. Whether you are in business and would like to have a way to give something back to people in need or you are retired or semi-retired and looking for a way to give to people in need without having to donate a lot in the way of cash, I would appreciate the opportunity to work under and learn from you.

If you are not in the HVACR trade but you know someone who has a Master’s certification, I ask that you forward this message to him/her and e-mail me if he/she is interested at all. Thank you.

Sincerely,

John C.