addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Fredericksburg Secular Humanists Message Board › taking photographs at FSH and D.S. meetings.

taking photographs at FSH and D.S. meetings.

Trish
user 12146796
Fredericksburg, VA
Post #: 2
At today's FSH meeting, someone took multiple photographs of group members. This was done without notifying or asking permission of those photographed. Furthermore, it began after the lecture was in progress, making it less likely that anyone would intervene.
He stood at the front of the room, behind & to the side of the speaker, for about 4 or 5 minutes, appearing to focus & take many photographs. He then roamed around the room, continuing to shoot photo's.
Some of those present might have no objection at all to having their photographs taken. However, at least several of those present, including me, did not want their photo's taken & attempted to keep their faces hidden.
After the meeting, one woman approached this man, voiced her objections, and asked that he delete the photo's. He refused, & as she described this to me, it was obvious that she was furious. I sppoke with him then, and asked him why he was taking the photo's. He said, "Because I wanted to." I asked what he planned to do with them, and he said, "Look at them." I told him that at least several of the members had told me they objected to being photographed. I asked him to delete the photo's. He said he wouldn't. I said it was possible that there could be a negative impact on someone's job or family life or cause other problems, & I asked again that he delete the photo's. He refused again. I told him that I was disappointed that he wasn't responding to people's requests and asked for the third time that he delete the photo's. He said no. This was John C.

Another FSH member suggested that we institute a "no-photo's at meetings" policy out of respect for those who object. I agree. Please share your ideas & opinion.

Trish

User ID:

user 12146796 Want to personalize your user ID? Subject:

Link to...Check SpellingAt today's FSH meeting, someone took multiple photographs of group members. This was done without notifying or asking permission of those photographed. Furthermore, it began after the lecture was in progress, making it less likely that anyone would intervene.
He stood at the front of the room, behind & to the side of the speaker, for about 4 or 5 minutes, appearing to focus & take many photographs. He then roamed around the room, continuing to shoot photo's.
Some of those present might have no objection at all to having their photographs taken. However, at least several of those present, including me, did not want their photo's taken & attempted to keep their faces hidden.
After the meeting, one woman approached the this man, voiced her objections, and asked that he delete the photo's. He refused, & as she described this to me, it was obvious that she was furious. I sppoke with him then, and asked him why he was taking the photo's. He said, "Because I wanted to." I asked what he planned to do with them, and he said, "Look at them." I told him that at least several of the members had told me they objected to being photographed. I asked him to delete the photo's. He said he wouldn't. I said it was possible that there could be a negative impact on someone's job or family life or cause other problems, & I asked again that he delete the photo's. He refused again. I told him that I was disappointed that he wasn't responding to people's requests and asked for the third time that he delete the photo's. He said no. This was John C.

Another FSH member suggested that we institute a "no-photo's at meetings" policy out of respect for those who object. I agree. Please share your ideas & opinion.

Trish
5767 characters left

Yikes! You've entered an email address. Your message will be displayed for others, including email spammers, to read. You may wish to consider removing the email address.
Track this discussion

A former member
Post #: 5
As the member who suggested this policy, I fully agree that we should set a no-photography policy. While I am quite open about my beliefs, there are many members who are not out of fear of reprisals at work or with family members. Though John stated his right to take pictures because this is a public meeting, I contend that it is not a public meeting in the strict sense of the word as we do define ourselves as atheists, agnostics, humanists and skeptics, thereby excluding a large portion of the population from the meeting.

A very simple and flexible policy need not be complicated. It can be as short as, "Without prior permission of the group's coordinator(s) and every member present, no photography shall be allowed at any FSH meeting or event."