Want to get involved at Freeside but don't know where to start? Are there improvements you'd like to make or things you'd like to change but you don't know who to talk to?
We decided to try a different approach to organizing things at Freeside in order to help people get involved, take small manageable bites of complex projects, and pool their resources and expertise to make our space and our community truly amazing.
This way, we can make tackling complex projects in fields like like Automation Control, Web Services, Security, Machine Learning, New Media & Design, Interactive Art Installations, Robotics, Project Management, etc... much easier.
Basically, we'll meet for an hour to discuss what we're gonna do, come up with a plan to get it done, and then start working. We'll meet for about an hour followed by a 2-3 hour hackathon-style work period where we'll put out beautiful brains together to get stuff done. Helping you will be several of our teachers, project managers, as well as a few Officers and Directors.
Bring your suggestions, project ideas, expertise, and resources and we'll bring ours!
Now, we've broken things up into three committees that meet the first, second, and third Saturdays of the month. This is the Safety and Risk Management committee meeting, but you can also check out the Activities and Culture or Marketing and Outreach if that's closer to what you'd like to get involved in.
Here's what we'd like to get done with this committee in the short term -
- Create a sustainable safety and training system with QR documentation on equipment.
- Develop a service to get an catalog MSDSs for chemicals in the space.
- Improve camera system and archival using IP and CCTV cameras.
- Improve Access Control and RFID entry system incorporating Arduinos, RFID readers, permissions databases, schedule management, key management, and more.
- Use CNC mills for signage around the space and to demo the concept
- Research Grant requirements and liability/compliance stuff. Difficult stuff, but a great way to peek under the hood at the legal environment of business.
- Improve accounting and transparency through Open and/or bespoke systems.
Come check it out!