Want to get involved at Freeside but don't know where to start? Are there improvements you'd like to make or things you'd like to change but you don't know who to talk to?
We decided to try a different approach to organizing things at Freeside in order to help people get involved, take small manageable bites of complex projects, and pool their resources and expertise to make our space and our community truly amazing.
This way, we can make tackling complex projects in fields like like Automation Control, Web Services, Security, Machine Learning, New Media & Design, Interactive Art Installations, Robotics, Project Management, etc... much easier.
Basically, we'll meet for an hour to discuss what we're gonna do, come up with a plan to get it done, and then start working. We'll meet for about an hour followed by a 2-3 hour hackathon-style work period where we'll put out beautiful brains together to get stuff done. Helping you will be several of our teachers, project managers, as well as a few Officers and Directors.
Bring your suggestions, project ideas, expertise, and resources and we'll bring ours!
Now, we've broken things up into three committees that meet the first, second, and third Saturdays of the month. This is the Marketing and Outreach committee meeting, but you can also check out the Activities and Culture or Safety and Risk Management if that's closer to what you'd like to get involved in.
Here's what we'd like to get done with this committee in the short term -
- Organize fundraisers, lectures, and other events
- Serve as a point of contact for our partner organizations like My Inventor Club, MASS Collective, Geekspace Gwinnett, the Alchemical Arts Alliance, Burners without Borders, Atlanta Mini Maker Faire, and Citizen Scholar.
- Host podcasts and work on the Blog. Document stuff!
- Organize events and mini-projects for people to get involved in (especially at Open Houses).
- Work on the Space Phone, our portal to other Makerspaces and Hackerspaces around the world.
- Coordinate on our web and print design. Learn how to improve our website and "social media presence" (whatever the hell that means...)
- Coordinate with the Activities and Culture committee to help teachers get the resources they need to be successful at Freeside.
Come check it out!