San Francisco French Bulldog Meetup Message Board › Frenchie Needing a Home
|A former member||
We recently adopted a 5 year old female spayed B/W French Bulldog. She is loving and sweet. However we have decided to see if we can help find her a home where she’ll be happier. We adopted her from a rescue group so the adoption would have to officially go through them but I really want to help Gigi and them and to cause Gigi the least amount of stress possible.
I grew up with English Bulldogs and thought I knew what I was getting myself into. However with a 2 year old (and 5 year old) I realize it’s not as easy as I thought. Gigi and our 2 year old are having a hard time of it, although she is really good with our 5 year old. She is actually really good with our 2 year old most of the time but she will growl/nip if our daughter puts her face in her face. We’ve worked hard on teaching our daughter not to do those behaviors of course but I can’t teach all of the play dates that come here. We have decided to wait until our daughter is 6 or so to look into adopting another dog as we think it’s not fair to either one of them at this age.
I think Gigi would be happier in an adult only or home with older kids. She would also benefit from an experienced dog/Frenchie person rather than us inexperienced ones.
The wonderful things about Gigi:
• Lovable does not even begin to express how truly sweet she is
• She is just the right mix of playful and lazy
• She is hilarious when she’s playful and loves tug of war and squeaky toys
• She’s great on the leash except rare occasions when she smells food and wants to stop. She doesn’t pull and my 5 year old can walk her easily and with no concern.
• She’s totally potty trained (even to a small patch of fake grass)
• She doesn’t chew anything except lightly on the occasional stuffed animal
• She’s truly amazing with cats! She’s submissive and won’t even look at them after she realizes they live with her.
• She is really good with other dogs, even those that are aggressive towards her
• You can take anything out of her mouth while she is eating. No aggression.
• She has no separation anxiety issues
Things to know about Gigi:
• She has some sort of allergy that causes her skin to itch. Food allergy is assumed. She’s on a fish only (no grain) diet. She’s been on steroids and a dose of antibiotics.
• She has developed a bit of resource protecting of us at our front door/in our car and will bark skeptically at anyone who comes in
• She has also become a bit skeptical of some strangers while on the leash. She will move back and sometimes graze hands with her mouth. I truly believe she wouldn’t really bit but she does make contact. I’ve been told by a trainer that this is easy enough to correct if we are consistent but we are not nor can I be at this point in time.
• She does beg for food but I’ve noticed she rarely does it from adults, just the kids that she knows she can get it from.
• She does bark when someone comes to the door. She did bark more in the beginning at strange sounds but now that she’s more used to things she really only barks at the door.
The rescue fee is $500 (to be paid to them, we forfeit our fee to them). She comes with medical records, 5 months of heartworm and flea meds, allergy shampoo, harness. She’s fully vaccinated. We would also love to offer to dog sit her whenever her new family goes out of town. Honestly! If you are interested in meeting her please let me know. We realize this is our failure and we just really want to make it right for Gigi.
San Francisco, CA
Could you possibly send me a jpg of Gigi so I can send it to a few friends?
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
I am a frenchie owner and my sister owns one as well. Our mother recently had to put down her dog and always said she would only get a frenchie next after she fell in love with ours! I bet she would be perfect for Gigi because she knows the breed well and their issues ( mine has allergies and my sisters frenchie is stubborn and alpha dog ha ha) and she only live with her husband and one old cat. Could you please send me a picture of her. My email is email@example.com