addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Peninsula French Movies & More Message Board › Abel Gance's "Napoleon" in the media

Abel Gance's "Napoleon" in the media

A former member
With the first of four showings of the 5 1/2 hour restoration of Abel Gance's Napoleon about to debut, next Saturday, the media are running with the story. Check out these items from NPR and the NY Times:

From NPR's Weekend Edition Saturday 17 March

From the NY Times 16 March

If you don't already have your tickets for this once in a lifetime event, don't wait! Visit our event page for more info!

Cindy C.
cindycornell
Burlingame, CA
Post #: 6
Thanks for the article links, Russ. I'm thrilled I am going to get to see it as I missed it in 1981, and with the decreasing use of projectors, this probably will be the last time it is seen that way.

Cindy Cornell
A former member
Post #: 188
Cindy, You're welcome! Yes, as you say, this will very likely be the last time Napoleon will be seen as a projected film with a live orchestra. Rumors are circulating about a possible, digital restoration, but if that comes to pass (presumably a 4K transfer in support of a Blu-Ray DVD release), it will obviously eliminate the live orchestra. Also, it'll be interesting to see how they would handle the final PolyVision sequence. I did see the 1981 version at the SF Opera, and it was spectacular, but here's an interesting bit of trivia: It was run at 24 fps, instead of the standard silent film speed of ~16 fps, because the presenters, Robert Harris and Francis Coppola, either couldn't afford or didn't want to pay the musicians the extra money for the additional hour of running time! tongue
Cindy C.
cindycornell
Burlingame, CA
Post #: 7
Haha. Good trivia. My brother-in-law used to work for Mr. Coppola and boy, those were strange times.