May 4, 2013 · 8:00 AM
Assateaugue Island Park
Join us as we backpack on the ‘edge of the continent’ at Assateague Island National Seashore along the shoreline in Maryland. Assateague is a unique beach outdoor experience with backpacking trails along the Atlantic Ocean. Visit a place recreated each day by ocean wind and waves. Explore the sandy beaches, salt marshes, maritime forests and coastal bays. Join us for a night of outdoor living.
You must have previous backpacking experience as walking on sand with a backpack is equivalent to a steep mountain climb. This is a 4 mile each way trip (see details below)
Date: Saturday, May 4 – Sunday, May 5.
Location: Assateague Island, Maryland (8 miles south of Ocean City, MD). We will start backpacking from the North Beach parking Area
Time: Arrive on Saturday morning by 8AM and depart by Sunday morning at 12PM.
Cost:$6 per person which includes the backcountry permit which is issused on a first arrival basis. There is also a $15.00 per car park entrance fee. Both fees are paid onsite. Each participant is responsible for their own food and supplies. A detailed list of items to bring will be provided.
Space for backpacking is limited to 10 people so register soon to confirm your space.
For more information on Assateague Island National Park, feel free to visit the website at http://www.nps.gov/asis/index.htm
1. Distance is 4- miles from the parking area to the Tingles Island campsite (on the bayside).
2. Backpack along the trails which intertwine along the beach and inner dunes.
3. Arrive at campsite and setup camp.
4. Relax and explore Assateague island with nearby hikes and water exploration.
5. Camp stove available for meals that require light cooking.
6. Evening overnight at the campsite.
7. Morning pack up and light breakfast.
8. Backpack back to parking area in the morning (4 miles).