addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Fresh Ground Stories Seattle Storytelling Meetup Group Message Board › Group Integrity: Some comments

Group Integrity: Some comments

Catherine
user 3012375
Seattle, WA
Post #: 9
The group belongs to everyone, and we're all responsible for creating it.

The Audience creates a warm, safe space for the storytellers.
Reciprocally: the Storytellers shape the support a good-willed supportive audience that will keep coming back for future storytellers.

feedback is critical in shaping the group's standards. My job, as organizer, is to enforce format, and time limits got out of control last night, and I apologize. My responsibility, and I'm working on improving that.

I don't have any idea what people will say when they take the microphone. Part of the excitement, part of the risk, part of the terror. So, if someone tells a story you loved? I encourage you to share it here. and if someone tells a story that made you uncomfortable? I also encourage you to share it here.

Social behavior is shaped by group rewards and consequences, and while I support maintaining a venue for open content to tell your true stories, I also strongly encourage the storytellers to consider the audience.

The audience has brought a precious gift: they have done you the courtesy of bringing their warmth, support, attention, and time. if you venture into realms that dabble in bigotry, sexual objectification, explicit descriptions of disgusting physiological functions, then you risk abusing their goodwill.

By being a member, you commit to maintaining a community that is about well-crafted, thoughtful, honest, enlightening stories that are about 5 - 10 minutes.

We're all human. We all make mistakes. Sometimes things will go off course. That's life. I'll keep doing my best to keep the event to format. Sorry we got off track time-wise.

STORYTELLERS: please do your best to maintain the goodwill of the audience by thoughtful crafting of your story, adhering to time limits, and being sensitive to how the story might affect people.

AUDIENCE: thank you so much for showing up, for creating a safe space for tellers to tell stories, and for providing feedback to create the kind of community you want this group to be.

-cat