Quick note from Ernie: Code Fever is a great community organization which trying to get kids of color into technology and is an opportunity to combine teaching technology with being a good neighbor. There are some great media pieces here:
They are looking for trainers and assistants and you can find details for the positions below.
Code Fever seeks an enthusiastic Computer Science Teaching Assistant for its 2014 Summer/Fall Institute.
We are looking for Lead Training Instructors and Assistant in Miami and Broward
- Assist in the instruction of students to build mobile apps in accelerated summer programs
- Identify students' areas of weakness and provide one-on-one support to students as needed.
- Help manage and assess students' progress in, and proficiency with, hard and soft computer science skills.
- Lead or Support instructor in classroom management, lectures, discussions, workshops, and all other classroom activities.
- Effectively address students' challenges and questions, so as to ensure that all students are engaged and actively learning course material.
- Work with Code Fever program staff to guide the delivery and flow of talks, activities, and field trips to ensure maximum understanding and intake of material for students.
- Collaborate with the Summer Institute's "soft skills" facilitator.
- Manage onsite equipment, supplies, and other classroom logistics in coordination with the classroom instructor.
- Act as on site Code Fever ambassador.
- Help to maintain an energetic and enthusiastic classroom to enable as much learning as possible.
- Counsel students on professional and personal levels, as needed or requested, with maturity and appropriate discretion.
- Serve as a leader and role model to students.
QUALIFICATIONSThis is a unique opportunity to join a talented and growing team working to re-envision computer science education.The position affords the opportunity to work at the forefront of CS education while impacting the lives of young teens of color by inspiring and encouraging their pursuit of engineering and technology.
- Demonstrated abilities in general programming, data structures, and algorithms.
- Excellent time management, organizational, and communication skills
- Experience working with teenagers in a classroom, camp, or mentoring setting.
- Demonstrated experience and maturity in managing a classroom of twenty 10 to 18-year-olds.
- Proven effectiveness and patience in guiding classroom activities, keeping discussions on task and thinking quickly/creatively in the face of unexpected questions or comments.
- Experience assisting in an academically and culturally diverse classroom community.
- Respect, patience, and empathy for individual differences in the classroom.
- High energy and enthusiasm for the curriculum.
- Enthusiastic, likable, easy-going demeanor with a strong sense of humor.
- Integrity, maturity, credibility, and a demonstrated commitment to CF's mission
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; great communication skills.
- Must be able to commit to 1-2 days of teacher training workshops prior to the program's start date.
- Experience in JSON, JQuery, Objective-C, C++, Iphone SDK, Android SDK.
Contact: [address removed]