2011 April Contest Voting Thread

Closed to new replies

Karen F.
floyka
Arvada, CO
Post #: 692
April's contest theme was chosen by Bridget, winner of the March 2011 contest:

Standing Out From The Crowd
Looking for something that sticks out like a sore thumb, whether that be a red flower in a sea of yellow flowers or in the fall when you that one tree has changed color while the rest are still green.

We had 9 images submitted for consideration in the April contest. They can be viewed in the 2011 April Photo Assignment album.

Voting starts now and ends on Wednesday, May 4th, at 8 p.m. The winner will be formally announced a few days later. If you submitted an image in the contest, please have a topic picked out and ready to go should I contact you about winning the contest.

There are 9 images submitted for consideration in the contest. The entry number is in the title/caption of the image and IS NOT the image number in the album.

Voting Rules:

• Rank the 3 images from first place to third place with "#1" being your favorite.
  • If you're having a hard time ranking, then don't forget to consider an image's adherence to the theme when determining your votes and ranking.
  • You are only allowed to cast your vote once per monthly assignment.
  • You may vote for your own photo.

The winner will receive:

• Bragging rights.
  • The choice of the May, 2011 photo assignment theme.
  • The winning photo will become the meetup group's main image for the following month.

How-To Vote:
Please take a few minutes to look over the entries and then reply to this thread by listing your top 3 images in the order you feel they should be placed. An example voting entry follows:

1st place: Entry #y This image rocks because...
2nd place: Entry #x I like this photo because...
3rd place: Entry #z This image is cool because...

Voting is weighted by number of votes AND ranking, so the image with the highest score, not necessarily the most votes, will be the winner.

Thanks everyone for your participation in the April assignment. Good luck!
Russ B.
user 10411345
Denver, CO
Post #: 4
1st place goes to entry #8. The colors are bold, it perfectly fits the theme of the contest, the placement of the primary tulip is super, and the use of depth of field is excellent.

2nd place goes to entry #2. The use of the rule of thirds is great, the stormy sky background adds mood, and the phase of the sunflower coincides with the stormy and ominous mood of the weather. The position of the sunflower fits the topic perfectly.

3rd place goes to entry #7. Great technical qualities, the subjects fill the frame, and it fits the theme well.
Michelle K.
user 14478953
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
1st place goes to photo #6

2nd place goes to photo #2

3rd place goes to photo #9
Mike B.
user 6442564
Littleton, CO
Post #: 34
1st place: Entry #8 - great color and concept
2nd place: Entry #6 - love that gbh fishing from shore, nevermind those ducks!
3rd place: Entry #5 - that duck's really outnumbered. Pelicans?
Ray
user 8287914
Longmont, CO
Post #: 12
1st Place: Number 6 - That heron REALLY stands out!

2nd Place: Number 1

3rd Place: Number 7
Bridget
user 6138499
Westminster, CO
Post #: 7
1st: #8 love the colors and the satiny feel of the tulips.

2nd: #6 I like the DOF to de-emphasize the three in the back.

3rd: #2 Great DOF like the complete package with the worn sunflowers and the ominous sky.
Alex B.
user 13774561
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
1st Place: Entry #8 - love the way the single flower stands up to say howdy.

2nd Place: Entry #6 - think this is an excellent shot of the GBH.

3rd Place: Entry #7 - when I first saw this one it just stood out and made me chuckle. Still does, fits the overall theme of the project greatly I think.
Anna
RedSonjaXE
Englewood, CO
Post #: 104
1st place: Entry #8 - Yes voting this over mine. I thought this was FRAMING material. Love the colors!!
2nd place: Entry #9 I liked the idea of the three females showing and well the MALE literally standing out of the crowd, no doubt with intent. (smiles)
3rd place: Entry #2 The mood, the DOF ...etc. Very nice shot.
A former member
Post #: 1
1st place- #5 Beautiful picture! Captures the theme!

2nd place- #2 Awesome picture! Well done!

3rd place- #7 Fun picture!
A former member
Post #: 3
1st - #8 - The flowers are great, and the shift from red to pink makes the red tulip that's standing up, stand out

2nd - #1 - Yes, it's my photo which may make this a shameless plug, but I like it :)

3rd - #2 - Very moody picture, and great adherence to the theme