Front Range Photography Message Board › Crested Butte Wildflowers July 15-18

Crested Butte Wildflowers July 15-18

Bridget
user 6138499
Westminster, CO
Post #: 8
All, I'm headed up to Crested Butte Friday the 15th after work. I wanted to see if anyone was interested in joining me for wildflower photography. We can meet up there or carpool and you can do accommodations on your own or I rented a beautiful house in Crested Butte. You can see it here: www.vrbo.com/76059. There are 3 bedrooms and 4 beds. The total for the 3 nights is $585. If we got 3 people together it would be $65 a night per person. If four people went $49 a person per night and with 5 only $39 per person. I already have one other person. So with just one more this is a totally awesome price for something in Crested Butte.
The two of us that are going only require a twin bed each if there was a couple interested in going.

Hope you can join us!
Carol
user 9160935
Denver, CO
Post #: 3
I would like to join you on this trip to Crested Butte. Just bought a new camera and want to try it out. Can I carpool with you?

Carol
bob d.
user 7107048
Erie, CO
Post #: 10
I would like to reserve a spot for the Crested Butte weekend. It would be just myself. I've been planning to go the Wildflower event for the last several years but never seemed to make it happen. Thinking about taking my car and leaving on Friday morning for more picturesque drive. Anyone is welcome to ride with me if they prefer. Let me know if there is still space available?

Posted just now | Like | Delete
Bridget
user 6138499
Westminster, CO
Post #: 10
Carol and Bob,

You were my first two to rsvp. Carol you can carpool with me and my friend Michael. We will be leaving around 5pm on Friday or Bob has offered space in his vehicle as well. He will be leaving earlier. The property owner said we can get into the house as soon as it's clean. She said she will call me as soon as that occurs.

Please message me privately your email and phone contact information so we can get all the logistics laid out.

Looking forward to this weekend!
Charlie L.
user 5321595
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 571
Maybe I will see you folks up there. This week is the Crested Butte Wildflower Festival so everything will be packed. You might want to make dining reservations ahead of time - I made ours today. I go to CR frequently so I will offer some tips below, you can take them for what they are worth.

There are many good restaurants in CR, our favorite is Lil's which is half Asian and half Western. Slogar is known for their chicken dinner. Garlic Mikes just outside of Gunnison is OK and Farells in Gunnison is very good. When you come into Gunison, if that is the route you are taking, you turn off Hwy 50 unto Main to go to CR. On the third block is Farells on the right. Does not look like much but they are sort of a bakery too and everything is made from scratch and they have great pies and bread. Good lunch stop.

The reason I mention Gunnison dining is because they are celebrating their Cattlemen Days this week too. There is a carnival, rodeo, parade, etc. You can google "Gunnison cattlemen days" for a schedule. Hotels are cheaper there too and that is where we are staying. Also, Gunnison has a very good visitors center, on the right as you enter town.

If you go via Hwy 285 and 50 there are some nice stops. Off 285, past Buena Vista, is the turn off for St Elmo. Along the way to St Elmo is Mt Priceton hot springs and the Chalk Cliffs. On hwy 50, past Monarch Pass, just before Gunnison, is the road to Ohio City and Pitkin. The drive to Ohio City is pleasant.

In CR, at the start of Kebler Pass, just a little past Lake Irwin, is a small pioneer cemetery which usually has wild flowers. Further up Kebler Pass is Lost Lake - a nice hike through wild flowers. At the beginning of Kebler Pass too is the road to Ohio Pass, down the road, not too far is Lilly Lake. You can find wildflowers and ferns there. You can pick up Ohio Pass just north of Gunnison and drive the entire length to Kebler Pass if Ohip Pass is open.

On Gothic Road, at start of the trail to Judd Falls, if you start the trail at the bottom parking area, there is a good shot of Mt Gothic. From that parking lot you have to bear right on the trail (and not follow the road). There is a second parking lot up a rough rod which cuts down the time to hike to Judd Falls. But, honestly, unless you like to hike, Judd Falls is a bust. Just the beginning of the trail, maybe the first half mile, is nice with wildflowers and a view of Mt Gothic. It is best in the morning.

Five miles from start of Gothic Rd is a parking area/pull out with good views all around. View of the bend in the river with Mt Gothic in background. Set your odometer where the road becomes dirt. The pull out is on your left and maybe not too noticeable. Good for both morning and sunset.

Slate River Road, about 4-5 miles, there is a small parking area on your left. You can also drive down the turnoff a bit too or just walk. There is a bridge around the bend and good river views and hopefully, wildflowers.

There is a good, but small book which we found helpful, "Enjoying Crested Butte the Easy Way" It is expensive for the size, about $13-15, but is useful if you go there often. It lists drives, wildflower and fall color locations, has maps, but is probably only available in CR. So, between Cattlemen Days and the Wildflower Festival, you should get some good shots. Please leave a few for me.

Charlie
Bridget
user 6138499
Westminster, CO
Post #: 11
Thanks for all the great tips Charlie! Hope to see you around. Feel free to share your photos on the album when you get back :).
Teri
tvirbickis
Littleton, CO
Post #: 82
We are heading up to Crested Butte next weekend, to avoid the Festival crowds this weekend. Another good book is John Fielder's Best of Colorado Book. It gives you lots of information about hiking trails, places to visit, places to eat and place to photograph. Personally, my book stays in the car!

2 more books that stay in my car are by a photographer I took a couple of classes from when I was 1st learning how to use my camera. The Photographer's Guide to Colorado and Colorado Wildflowers by Don Mammoser. The guide has great information about places to photograph in the state, complete with directions on how to get there and where to get the best shot once you get there. Has a lot of places to check out in Crested Butte. His Wildflower book is just a listing, by color, with pictures and information to identify wildflowers. It's small in size and fits nicely in my backpack, and has come in very handy when out and about, identifying flowers.

Have fun and don't forget whatever mosquito repellent you use, they were bad last weekend when we were out in the mountains.

Teri. V.
Teri
tvirbickis
Littleton, CO
Post #: 83
Hey Bridget and Charlie...

In the fall when we did Fall Colors on Kebler Pass, Lost Lake was closed for renovations and additions. The road was closed and you couldn't even get to the lake itself. If you make it up that way, let us know if it's back open.

Thanks!
Teri V.
Kristen H.
klhnry
Littleton, CO
Post #: 60
Hi,

I will also be joining the household on Friday and Saturday nights. I am coming up for the CB Plein Air Festival as well as bringing my camera equipment to do some shooting. I will probably drive down to Gunnison to see some of the Cattlemen Days too, maybe on Saturday.

I will be driving to CB Friday morning, leaving around 10 AM from Highlands Ranch in case someone wants to ride up with me. I need to get to CB by about 2 PM in preparation for the Patron's Preview at 3 PM.
http://crestedbuttepl...­

Looking forward to it! We can all share bug spray!! LOL

Kristen
Charlie L.
user 5321595
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 573
Let me give you guys and gals who wind up in Crested Butte an open invitation to join us in shooting. I do not want to set up a meetup because what I do really depends on the sky - if it is dynamic I will likely head off to shoot landscapes but if it is bland, I will probably hang around the rodeo and fairgrounds in Gunnison. Besides, we are staying in Gunnison and are sorta fixated that way.

But anyway, we have reservations at Garlic Mike's in Gunnison at 6pm on Friday. After dinner, depending on the sky, I may head up Ohio Pass (If it is open and the road is not too deep in mud). Saturday morning we plan on going to the pancake breakfast at 7:30 in Gunnison and shooting the preparations for the parade and the parade itself. It is a toss up if we head for CR or the fairgrounds afterward. However, we will surely head up to CR at some point that day because that evening we have reservations at Lil's in CR at 6pm. After dinner we will likely try to find a good sunset around CR, very likely up Gothic Road.

You are welcome to join us for dinner either day or the pancake breakfast on Saturday morning, and shooting afterward. Suggest you make reservations if you are interested in either dinner. Just look for a tall old guy (with a pretty young Asian missus). We leave Sunday by way of Tincup and then over Cottonwood Pass to Buena Vista. (If you go to Tincup, don't miss the cemetery).

Here is the schedule for the events in Gunnison: http://www.cattlemens...­