Usually I post my hiking events on Vegas Hikers Meetup, but I bet there are plenty of people here who love the outdoors too! Red Rock Scenic Loop charges $8 per car, but the "free side" of Calico Basin is an open picnic area with plenty of beautiful trails for hiking and rock climbing.
We'll hike an easy trail along the base of the mountain, at a moderate pace, up and down several big hills and valleys, then climb around a small canyon with wetlands and boulders. If you are new to hiking, this is a great place to start -- but you must be in good enough shape to walk a few miles and climb a few rocks.
Bring: 1 liter of water, energy snack, and flashlight (we'll be out by dark, but you should always be prepared for emergencies.) It will probably be around 50 degrees, and we'll be on the shadow side of the mountain, so bring gloves and layers of clothes to keep warm! Strong kids and dogs ok. (Leave No Trace ethics in full effect!)
We will carpool from Albertsons by Red Rock, leaving at Noon: Charleston at Desert Foothills (last light on your way to Red Rock.) Park near the gas station. Please share the cost of travel with your driver, approx $2-3 each rider.
Trailhead at 12:30: Coming West on Charleston, it's the street before the Red Rock Scenic Loop. Turn right on Calico Basin Rd, and wind down till you come to a big sign for Red Spring & Calico Basin. Tons of free parking, outhouses available.
Happy Hikers ...
- Leave No Trace: No trash, no food or pet waste. Stay on marked trails; no shortcuts or cutting switchbacks. Take nothing but photos.
- Hikes are free, but you should help share any costs for carpools or park fees. Where do your Meetup dollars go?
- Carpool when possible: It saves money, pollution, and avoids maxing out the parking spaces.
- Hike single file or stick to the right half of a wide trail. Yield to faster or smaller groups. Uphill hikers have the right of way. Whenever you pause, move off to the side so there's room to pass.
- Greet people we meet, invite them to join us! ;-)
- Drink 16 oz. of water per hour. Even if you're not thirsty, you should be hydrating; you don't feel the water loss until its too late.
- Avoid cramps, fatigue and wobbles with electrolytes and potassium (ex: Banana, Clif Shot, Gatorade, Emergen-C, etc.)
- Sunblock is essential, hats and sunglasses are terrific.
- RSVP with integrity! If you no-show, you might get blocked from our future events.
- Read the Vegas Hikers FAQ page for definitions, tips, and warnings.
Please be aware that your Meetup organizers are not tour guides. Expect the same risks and take the same precautions you would take if you were hiking alone. You are solely responsible for your own safety and well-being. By signing up for and/or attending this Meetup event, you acknowledge, understand, accept, and agree that hiking and other outdoor activities can be dangerous and can cause serious bodily injury and possibly death. The organizers of this group and current / former members cannot be held responsible or liable in any way for the actions of any participant - including you - at any event. All attendees participate at an event at their own risk and are solely responsible for any damage to their property, and/or any injury to themselves or their guests. By signing up for this event, you affirm that you understand this disclaimer, and that you knowingly and voluntarily agree not to bring any type of claim arising out of or related to this Meetup event against the organizers of this Meetup group.