Functional Brighton is a Brighton, UK meetup group that aims to bring together people interested in functional programming. We hope that it will complement London-based groups (eg. the London Scala User Group, Hoodlums, F#unctional Londoners, etc.), giving Londoners an excuse for a trip to the seaside and Brightonians some relief from the train.
After the very well attended first meeting we've settled on the third Tuesday of the month for meetups. Unless announced otherwise, we'll meet at The Skiff at 7pm.
Topics for future meetings could include,
- Essentials of functional programming
- Real world experiences with functional styles
- Mixing functional code into existing imperative/OOP codebases
- Functional programming language specifics: Scala, Haskell, F#, Erlang, Ocaml, Clojure, Scheme
- Functional idioms in non-functional languages
- Static vs. dynamic typing
- Concurrent, parallel and distributed computing in a functional style
- Data visualisation, scientific programming, numerical methods, optimisation and GPUs.
Welcome to Functional Brighton!
April 19 · 7:30 PM
There's no talk this month so let's meet for some functional chit chat and beverages! We've booked a table at 7.30 at the North Laine pub, which is just down the road... Learn more
March 15 · 6:45 PM
Removing the barriers between languages
We have a special treat this month. You are going to love this...
Fine-grained language composition
Lukas Diekmann and Edd Barrett are traveling to Brighton to give us... Learn more
February 16 · 7:00 PM
A brief introduction to Machine Learning
This month Julian Tapales is going to help us take some first steps with machine learning.
"Starting with a simple example to gain intuition for a few key ideas behind... Learn more
January 19 · 7:00 PM
Functional Reactive Programming
In the first Functional Brighton of 2016, FB regular Darran Eteo will give us an introduction to Functional Reactive Programming and RxJava:
Ever wondered what all the... Learn more
Dec 15, 2015 · 7:00 PM
Functional Mumbo Jumbo III
With Christmas fast on the approach, 'tis the season for functional festivities and the return of our ever-popular Functional Mumbo Jumbo nights!
Functor, applicative,... Learn more