GA 400 Linux Group Message Board GA 400 Linux Group Discussion Forum › Which CentOS download to use?

Which CentOS download to use?

A former member
Post #: 10
Super! You took me back a few years looking at your response! I haven't done this in a long time.
Right now, I'm working with a 320GB disk, so I'm in great shape!

Where would the Linux VM go? Would it be under any of those FSes or different one?

Also, on the VM: What version did you recommend again? Was it KVM?

Also, I assume an Intel i3 CPU supports VM? How do I find out? I was reading one of the links you sent me and I wanted to confirm.

I'm getting excited, now! It's been a while since I've done Unix/Linux.
A former member
Post #: 11
Wow!!! Simple stuff can seem complicated if you don't know. I followed your suggestions and finally got the full CentOS 6.3 DVD1 downloaded and burned to a CD (DVD2 was already done).
What I had to do was use IE, which allowed me to resume and every time the download stopped I would click resume.

I test-booted it and it's looking good. SOOOOO!!! My next step will be to bite the bullet and built the OS on my new 1.5TB Drive.

Will keep you posted. Probably my weekend project.
Any config suggestions/preferences that you'd like to share?

Thanks so much guys, for your help so far!
Andy
user 12961566
Group Organizer
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 9
Super! You took me back a few years looking at your response! I haven't done this in a long time.
Right now, I'm working with a 320GB disk, so I'm in great shape!

Where would the Linux VM go? Would it be under any of those FSes or different one?

Also, on the VM: What version did you recommend again? Was it KVM?

Also, I assume an Intel i3 CPU supports VM? How do I find out? I was reading one of the links you sent me and I wanted to confirm.

I'm getting excited, now! It's been a while since I've done Unix/Linux.

The VM storage will go in the /var partition, and the path will be shown when you are installing the guest OS. The location of the config files depends on which version you go with and whether you use qemu...these can be located easily though.

Go with KVM to start, see the link for the list of successful guest installs:

http://www.linux-kvm....­

Intel virtualization support (VT support) for all processors can be found at this link.

http://ark.intel.com/...­

The i3 should definitely be ok. You can also run a cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep -E -i -w 'vmx|svm' and confirm vmx or svm is listed in the output. Refer to the howtogeek link for checking if your CPU has VT support.

http://www.howtogeek....­

Sounds like the fun is about to begin!
A former member
Post #: 7
Just realized the message board has been getting posts. Wow.

Anyway, I'll throw my 2 cents in about running a VM.

I prefer to run xen on servers, but on my local machine I prefer to run https://www.virtualbo...­
I've got Windows 7 running in a VM for all my Photoshop needs.
A former member
Post #: 12
So far, I've been hearing of Xen & KVM. This is the first hearing of virtualbox. What's your take between those 2 (KVM/Virtualbox)? I'm new to Virtualization and want the easiest, simplest way possible to run Windows 7 on Linux. Once I know my way around, I can get all fancy and complicated later. lol!
A former member
Post #: 13
Finally broke down during the weekend and bought a Core 2 Duo PC and loaded CentOS on it. Realized that reconfiguring my main box without testing stuff would have killed me timewise.
Everything went fine but had a snag: The internet is not working. That connection works on my old Ubuntu laptop but not on this refurbished desktop. Not sure how to test connection on CentOS.

Any thoughts?

Andy
user 12961566
Group Organizer
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 10
Finally broke down during the weekend and bought a Core 2 Duo PC and loaded CentOS on it. Realized that reconfiguring my main box without testing stuff would have killed me timewise.
Everything went fine but had a snag: The internet is not working. That connection works on my old Ubuntu laptop but not on this refurbished desktop. Not sure how to test connection on CentOS.

Any thoughts?

(the real first steps are to check your physical connections to be sure the cable is good and the NIC is good.)

Next, check that your NIC was registered by CentOS during boot.

Run this as root:

# dmesg |grep eth0

If you see any output, your NIC was registered.

as root, check to see if your NIC has an IP address:

# /sbin/ifconfig

If you see an IP address, confirm it is in the network of your internet gateway.

To change your IP address:

# ifconfig eth0 IP_ADDRESS

Then try to ping your gateway and an outside IP address. I use 8.8.8.8 which is Google DNS.

You can post the output of the above commands if you need help interpreting the output.
A former member
Post #: 14

Any thoughts?

A former member
Post #: 15
Went and checked my wirings. Looks like I had a loose cable. I'm on the net...
Now, on to virtualization!