GA 400 Linux Group Message Board GA 400 Linux Group Discussion Forum › Thinking about installing Arch Linux or Gentoo

Thinking about installing Arch Linux or Gentoo

Sergey
user 100129952
Roswell, GA
Post #: 2
Hello,

I've been using Ubuntu as my main desktop since about 2008 and my interest in Ubuntu has slowly been going downhill. I have tried other distros very briefly, such as Fedora, Suse, DSL, FreeBSD, Mint, and some obscure distros that I don't even remember. For one reason or another, I just didn't care for them. In FreeBSD's case, I didn't have enough time to install a graphical environment and get everything running when I tried it out.

I am currently using Ubuntu 12.04. My problem is that a lot of the software I want to use is too old. I'd like to use the newest versions of GCC, QT, and a few other things. I've tried PPAs, but something seems to break whenever I use them. For instance, I'm using a GCC PPA right now and my GDB is broken.

I have never really care about the bleeding edge until now. I've tried setting up Arch Linux a couple times over the years. Sometimes I can set it up and have everything running smoothly, but other times something will break horribly and I would have wasted several hours. Keeping the mirror list up to date seems to be a problem whenever I'm using an older installation CD.

I've never tried Gentoo before.

I want to know if any of you use Arch Linux or Gentoo and what your experiences are with them. Aside from installation, I don't want to spend hours configuring and maintaining my distro. What I like about Ubuntu is that everything just seems to work. I understand I'll have to make some sacrifices and get my hands dirty, and I'm fine with that.

Also what graphical environments do you guys use (if any)? I'm okay with Unity, but I preferred GNOME 2 back when Ubuntu used it.
Andy
user 12961566
Group Organizer
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 19
Hi Sergy, welcome to the group!

Arch and Gentoo require more attention than a "regular" distribution like Debian or Ubuntu. I have used Gentoo but went back to Debian because I didn't want to spend time keeping the system up-to-date (never used Arch). With Gentoo (and probably Arch), you will spend more time getting applications installed and up-to-date. However, the time spent doing that may be less than the time to compile and maintain the most recent version of GCC and Qt on Ubuntu. I find that once I get outside using packages from repositories and the normal package installation process in Debian, the minutes and hours just whiz by while I read documentation or search forums for answers to fix a problem.

I still use Debian Squeeze (version 6) and Gnome 2 is the default desktop environment. Tried to use Gnome 3 that is included with Debian Wheezy (version 7, and the current version), it was just ok. I will make the change one day, but I'm waiting until Gnome 3 matures a bit.