GA 400 Linux Group Message Board GA 400 Linux Group Discussion Forum › Linux Project Review - Zentyal Linux SMB Server

Linux Project Review - Zentyal Linux SMB Server

Andy
user 12961566
Group Organizer
Atlanta, GA
Hello Fellow Linux Enthusiasts!
I wanted to share a project that looks very interesting and has the possibility to enable small business to save a decent amount of cash.
The Zentyal  - Linux Small Business Server projec, http://www.zentyal.or...­, has developed a solution for small and medium businesses to implement several servers in one easy to use interface.
My main interest has always been to find a replacement for Windows domain controllers and Exchange servers.  With the stipulation that I don't have to be an engineer to get the modules installed and working.
The Openchange project is an Exchange replacement, but if you try to install as a standalone product, well, good luck!  Zentyal takes all the pain away and makes installation a breeze.  Going from zero knowledge to a connected Outlook client took about 4 hours this weekend.
Disclaimer: I have no choice but to support Outlook in my work environment.  If there was any other option, I would have chosen it long ago - the issue is one of user acceptance, not admin acceptance :(
The other project incorporated into Zentyal is Samba 4, which provides an Active Directory domain controller replacement.  Getting this component running is really easy if you have a general idea of domains - if I can do it, anyone can.
There are many other components to Zentyal, check out the website for details.
The Zentyal project is worth a look if you have any interest in setting up and maintaining small business servers.  Installing a few servers in a KVM environment with high availability and live migration will save in the neighborhood of $20,000 over comparable M$ products!  I have been (passively) looking for a project like this for a few years.  Check it out and drop me a line if you have any questions on how to get started!

Cheers!
Andy