Come and join us for a fabulous weekend on a truly stunning, diverse and surprisingly unspoilt section of the South Coast. We're heading down to Dorset to visit the Jurassic Coast UNESCO World Heritage site where we'll spend a day hiking and another day sightseeing. We'll be staying very close to the rare and beautiful natural harbour of Lulworth Cove in the heart of the Jurassic Coast.
This is the perfect location to for an action packed weekend. These are the highlights:
- Exploring the "ghost village" of Tyneham - a remote village in a small coastal valley that dates back over 1000 years and was abandoned by its inhabitants during World War 2. It’s now an enchanting ruin with the school, church and several houses still standing in various states of decay.
- Walking along the coast where we'll visit the stunning chalk faced cliffs at Worbarrow Bay and the amazing limestone arch of Durdle Door.
- The 1000 year old ruin of Corfe Castle, built by the Normans and then half destroyed during the English Civil War.
- Riding on a steam train from the castle to the coast.
- Visiting the seaside resort town of Swanage.
We'll be joining "Outdooraholics" - another Meetup hiking group and between us we've secured the exclusive use of the Lulworth Cove hostel just for members of our two groups. The hostel is a purpose built timber building located in the village of West Lulworth, just off the coastal path and under a mile from Lulworth Cove.
Here's our itinerary:
Friday 21 September
Head down to Lulworth Cove after work and check into the hostel. If we arrive in time we can head to a local pub for some dinner.
Saturday 22 September
This is the hiking day. After breakfast we'll drive to the abandoned village of Tyneham where we'll start a diverse and stunning 8.5 mile hike.
After exploring the remains of the “ghost town”, we’ll hike along the coast following a very hilly route with lots of ups and downs. It'll be challenging and we'll work up a sweat but we'll be richly rewarded with some great views culminating in the two highlights of Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door.
After the hike we'll reward ourselves with some well deserved food and drinks in a local pub near to the hostel.
Sunday 23 September
This is a day for resting our legs and doing some sightseeing. In the morning we’ll drive to Corfe and take a look around the village and its castle.
After we’ve seen the castle we’ll take the steam train to Swanage where we’ll wander around the sea front with its beach and quaint shops. We’ll end the trip with some dinner in a pub in Swanage before driving back to London late afternoon.
The price of the trip is £90 and there are 15 places available for members of Get Out Of London. To RSVP you'll need to pay a £20 deposit by Paypal. The £70 balance will be due on 1 May. The deposit and balance are non-refundable unless the trip is cancelled or rescheduled, but if you need to drop out you can sell your place to another member of the same sex.
The price includes:
- 2 nights accommodation in the hostel (6 bed rooms).
- Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday.
- Packed lunches on Saturday and Sunday.
- Entrance to Corfe Castle.
- Journey on the steam railway from Corfe to Swanage.
The price doesn’t include:
- Transport between London & Lulworth Cove.
- Road transport during the trip.
- Evening meals
We're hiring a 16 seat minibus to take members of both groups to Lulworth Cove and to provide transport during the weekend. The price of a seat on the bus will be £28. If enough people are interested we'll hire a second minibus and split the costs between the passengers.
Alternatively, you might wish to team up with other members in a car share and drive to and from Lulworth Cove. When you RSVP, please answer the question about your preferred means of transport so that we know how many people wish to come by minibus.