GPU Programming in Toronto Message Board › Running NVIDIA for graphics and ATI for OpenCL on Linux

Running NVIDIA for graphics and ATI for OpenCL on Linux

Eric C.
Eric.Carroll
Toronto, ON
Post #: 4
I am investigating adding a ATI stream processor to my Linux desktop rig which already has a NVIDIA card in it. I want to keep the NVIDIA card with proprietary drivers in use for graphics, and use the ATI card only for OpenCL processing.

Is this possible?

It seems to me that it all comes down to whether you can use the Stream SDK without installing all of fglrx. Since the proprietary drivers work by replacing most of the OpenGL stack with proprietary versions, does anyone know if there is a linkage between the AMD Stream SDK and the X/OpenGL stack?

I think it all depends on where the drivers are for OpenCL access to the Radeon card and if they will run without the rest of the X/OpenGL stack.

It seems like there may be a couple of possible options to investigate:

• Install NVIDIA binary, with Steam SDK (if it has just the OpenCL drivers)
  • Install fglrx, then Stream, then over-write with NVIDA binary package. Certainly best practice is to scrub out all the old proprietary driver...
  • Convince the fglrx installer to install into another location while having the NVIDIA driver install in the usual places.

Eric C.
Eric.Carroll
Toronto, ON
Post #: 5
It looks like this can work in Windows 7. Haven't figured out Linux as yet. Open source Radeon driver doesn't seem to support OpenCL as yet although mesa seems to have a state tracker for it, so it is coming...

Suggestions welcome.