I walked this trail on June 25, 2013. There are a few muddy sections. The grass & weeds are shoulder height in parts of the meadow areas and some portions of the narrow paths are hidden by overgrown grass & vines. I was in shorts and came through unscathed so I am assuming no poison ivy is present. I was also well "deeted" so the mosquitoes bounced off.
There are a few fallen trees to walk over and one section is almost blocked by a fallen tree. Here a path has been re-established but it requires crawling (not on hands & knees but bending low) our way through it. As such, this will NOT be a stroll in the park. It will be more of an obstacle course of sorts.
Dim Sum lunch immediately after the hike is optional. It will take place only if there is enough participation. The venue is:
Best Dragon Seafood Restaurant
100 Steeles Ave W Vaughan, ON L4J 2L1
Fireworks-The church I attend gives an awesome fireworks show every year on Canada Day. Bring a lawn chair/blanket. There are 2 parking lots and lots of parking space. Park at the upper parking lot and meet me at the lower lot where the fireworks will be held. The event starts at 8:00 pm. Location:
Bayview Glen Church
300 Steeles Ave E, Thornhill ON
1. I will update this page to cancel, either because of the weather or unforeseen circumstances, so please check this page on the day of the event.
2. Please arrive about 15 minutes early to sign a waiver and be prepared to provide an emergency contact name and number. If you have a cell phone, bring it with you and list that number down on the waiver.
3. Please do some research on the hike and select hikes that suit you.
4. Dress appropriately for the weather with sturdy hiking shoes or boots. Bring hiking poles if you have them to help with stability. For winter walks, you might need snowshoes, icers or microspikes.
5. Bring sufficient fluids and snacks for longer hikes.
6. We will often not have access to washrooms or portable toilets on these trails but bio-breaks are possible, if needed, along the walk.
7. If you are bringing guests, please RSVP accordingly and make sure they are aware of the hike details.
8. Be respectful of the environment. Take your garbage and pictures but leave everything else behind.
9. No dogs on my walks.
10. If you have any suggestions or concerns, I’m all ears.
The Huntington Trail runs west from Leslie Street in Thornhill
and crosses Little German Mills Creek to Huntington Park, which
has a picnic shelter and playground. It then proceeds west
along the edge of Maple Valley, a mature, hardwood forest,
crossing German Mills Creek to Evergreen Crescent (one block east
of Bayview Avenue). Within this forested haven, you may
encounter white-tailed deer, coyotes, rabbits, raccoons, squirrels,
ring-necked pheasants, and enjoy the melodious chirping
of the blue jays and chickadees. Portions of this trail are part of
the old Leitchcroft Farms horse trails.
Excerpt from Town of Markham website
For more information and a map of the trail click on link
We will start at the Green Lane access and walk a side trail in the woods following a path that is closer to the German Mills Creek as well as part of the trail as mapped. It will be a relatively short hike of about 5 km and will take about 1.5 hours.
There are a few steep slopes and narrow pathways. The surface is a mixture of natural packed soil, pavement and gravel. Be prepared for mosquitoes and muddy sections.
We will meet at the parking lot of the St Rene Goupil School on Green Lane just west of Green Lane Park. Please see map for exact location. Please indicate in your RSVP if you plan to attend any one, two or all three of the events.