With the New Year just around the corner, I am excited to announce a new program that we will be running throughout 2013. The goal of the program is to help our members learn PHP. The first session is specifically targeted at beginners, but we will be following up with intermediate and advanced versions later in the year.
We are calling the program quite simply Learn PHP. The concept is based closely on a program called PHP Percolate which is run by the Boston PHP Meetup group and was created by Gene Babon.
Here's how it will work:
- Join the GTA PHP User Group if you are not already a member.
- You sign up for the program by selecting RSVP: "Yes" for the Learn PHP - Virtual Self Study Group event.
- You purchase a copy of the book "PHP for the Web" by Larry Ullman. This is the only cost for this program. If ordering online, please consider using our affiliate links so a small percentage of the sale goes back into the meetup group.
- Starting January 21, each participant reads one chapter per week, does the "Review and Pursue" exercises at the end of the chapter and posts their results online.
- Each participant should use the Message Board for Questions and Answers as well as general discussion related to the program or the material.
- After all chapters have been read by the group, there will be a graduation ceremony of sorts for those who have completed the program.
Note, this is a self-study program. There are no lectures, meetings or tests however the Boston group has found that participants will often organize their own "Coffee Shop" meetings to discuss the material.
Since there are 13 chapters in the book, the program will run for 13 weeks. It will officially begin on January 21, with the first exercises due on January 28. If my calendar counting is correct, the final exercises will be due on April 22. If you feel like getting a head start, feel free to get the book and get reading. You are free to go through the chapters faster than one a week if you wish.
Happy New Year