Game Makers Message Board › My Favorite Game

My Favorite Game

A former member
Post #: 9
I want to start a discussion about people's favorite games and genres and why. This is also a great way for other members to get a feel for who shares similar interests. Please add a post sharing your thoughts.

Here are some questions to help you get going:
What is your all time favorite game? Why? Computer or otherwise.
What is your favorite game genre?
What is one thing that you always thought would be cool in a game?
What characteristics of a game gets you to 1)check it out, 2) buy it, 3) play it, 4) keep playing it?
What is your biggest complaint about games you've played?
Describe the ultimate game.
A former member
Post #: 10
My favorite genres are fantasy, medieval, sci fi, vampire.
Favorite games: Elder Scrolls, assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto.
I started playing games like Bard's Tale, Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Daggerfall.
I really like games with open worlds that allow you to choose your own adventure rather than holding you to tight script. That said, games do need to give you a purpose.
I think like in life, games need objectives, goals, quests. However, I found jobs in Assassins Creed, for example, to be too repetitive. Quest should make you think, not just hack and slash.
I like the idea of guilds in many games, especially when they allow you to advance up the ranks. But I think that these are usually too simplistic. In all organizations, there are some level of politics, a game should no different. The Guild series had an interesting political aspect, where you could run for different offices, bribe, blackmail, and kiss ass officials but it also had issues keeping it fun and interesting.
Laura M.
Alyksandrei
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 10
What is your all time favorite game? Why? Computer or otherwise.
I don't know what my "all time" favorite game is. My current favorites are:
1. Dragonfable, because the developers have quite a sense of humor. Everything is either a bad joke, a bad pun, or a gaming/geek culture reference.
2. Star Trek Online, when I can get a stable connection long enough to play. Not sure why I like it, though.
3. Bananagrams, because I love words. It's easy to learn and fun to play. You do need to agree on a standard for challenges, though.
What is your favorite game genre?
Umm, I like RPGs and word games. I'm a writer - what else would I like? I also like card games.
What is one thing that you always thought would be cool in a game?
... something I haven't seen before, or something I've always liked about games? I like customization choices, storytelling, words.
What characteristics of a game gets you to 1)check it out, 2) buy it, 3) play it, 4) keep playing it?
1. sounds interesting (interesting name, description, package/images)
2. is it free? I can't afford anything else
3. see above
4. does it hold my interest? Or is it just an XP grind with no story?
What is your biggest complaint about games you've played?
no noticeable storyline; simple XP grind with little connection to a story; requires plugins/download/installation; requires steady hi-speed high-quality internet connection; laggy; doesn't run on my computer (usually graphics requirements)
Describe the ultimate game.
...can't have it all - my main requirements are good, interactive story; no cost; no plugin/download/install; can be played without a high-speed internet connection