add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Gateway Games & More: Board Game Meetup Message Board › Running out of ideas.

Running out of ideas.

Mike R.
user 11224749
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 68
I am sitting here trying to schedule some more meetups and I'm running out of theme ideas. Anyone out there want to lend me a hand?
user 13079939
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 34
No offense Mike, but I don't think the meetups need themes. A lot of times, that keeps me (and maybe others if they don't like the theme) from coming. I like when I don't feel like there are restrictions on what to bring. I think people know what they like to play, and they bring those. Of course, people can always request a game to be brought to a meetup if they have seen one they are interested in. Hope you're not offended.

You might just want to take a poll and see if people like the "themed meetups"?

If they do, some ideas are:

Worker Placement

Blind Bidding

Tile Placement

Area Control

No Dice Night (games not using any dice)

Major Dice Night (games that rely heavily on dice)
A former member
Post #: 2
I agree that not EVERY meetup needs to have a theme. However, themes allow for games which normally wouldn't hit the table to come to light. Our meetups might just turn into non-stop Battlestar Galactica events, without some alternate ideas. I, myself wouldn't normally play Last Night on Earth or Mansions of Madness without a themed game night.

It also peaks the interest of people who don't always play board games in general (such as the RPG-ers).

We just may want to limit it to one or two a month.

Other themes:

Pre-historic (stone age, cave man, etc.)
Games with little cubes (or Euros in general)
Games with meeples
Abstract games
Card-based games (Dominion, Fluxx, etc.)
BGG top 100
A former member
Post #: 3
....or here's a novel one....

"Gateway" games! LOL
Mike R.
user 11224749
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 70
Most of my themes I feel are pretty loose. I don't want to be TOO restrictive, but like Brian said... having a theme forces us to mix it up a bit. That's why I have things like "Game Potluck" and "Award Winners". So we can have some really broad groups of games.

I'll work some more on these next week.