Northern Virginia Geek Club Message Board › Thinking of starting a meetup in Mclean

Thinking of starting a meetup in Mclean

Brian
user 10719610
Mc Lean, VA
Post #: 1
I'm new here, haven't really been to any meetups before, but I'm interested in starting a meetup of my own.

I have a fairly nice Apt in Mclean right near the Tyson's Mall.

I like a lot of geeky stuff and can certainly accommodate a few people here. More than 5 or 6 or so would require standing/floor space, but the main living room is pretty big.

As for type of meetup. I have a DvD and BluRay player along with netflix, so I could do a movie night pretty easy. I have some of my own and anyone could feel free to suggest others or bring their own. I have a 50 inch HDTV with a decent set of speakers, so it's not bad. I just need to be mindful of the volume depending on the time and day.

I have quite a few video games. My collection includes a Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, PS3 (With ps1 and ps2 BC), Xbox, and Xbox 360.

Have a bunch of games for all of them, and several controllers. And would be easy for anyone to suggest/bring any of their favorites as well.

Board games... I like, but have none. If any has any they wanted to bring I have 2 tables (dining table and coffee table) that can be used for it.

I have no pets, so no issues for any with pet allergies. I don't smoke and do not allow it in my apt, but I have a patio right off of the living room so any smokers can feel free to step outside. It's covered so it won't even matter what the weather is like unless it's a monsoon.
Andrew
AndyT
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 116
Thanks for the post, Brian. We'd love to have additional events in our group that someone could host in a different part of town. Tyson's is central enough to all the major NoVA suburbs to be accessible for our group members, I think, and I for one work just down the street from the mall.

Why don't you come to some of our upcoming events, get to know your fellow geeks a little better, and then if you like we'll try setting up some new events that you can host. In particular, I would love to have more gaming events but our console/game selection is very limited. As for board games, we have quite a few but people also tend to bring their own games to such events.

Come check out some of our events and we'll go from there!

Andrew
Brian
user 10719610
Mc Lean, VA
Post #: 2
yeah, I was looking at the upcoming. I was going to go to the Hobbit viewing one this weekend... until I read they have cats. They can be anything from a mild annoyance to flat out stopping my breathing, so I tend to avoid doing more than dropping into places with cats. :)

I'm looking at the other ones too, but figured it might be nice to see if there was enough interest in another person having a place for people to gather at.
Kristen S.
user 4106204
Annandale, VA
Post #: 46
I work in Tysons on Tuesdays and Thursdays but I'd be more likely to come to Mclean on a night when I wasn't working there, because I have to go home to Annandale and let the dog out after work before heading out again.
Jerri L.
Weebaby
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 25
I say the more options for places to have for events the better!

Speaking only for myself, I don't see anything wrong with having duplicate events, such as a Hobbit viewing. Some people, like you, have allergies to deal with. I often have scheduling conflicts and have missed Meetups I would have liked to attend.

Welcome to the group!
Brian
user 10719610
Mc Lean, VA
Post #: 3
Just cancelled the one I had up for this coming weekend, didn't seem to be much interest and one of the Halloween based meetups got moved to the same day.

So I'll try and schedule it again in the future, maybe in November, or after the holiday season. If anyone has any preferences feel free to let me know. :)
Michael D
user 15203811
Group Organizer
Springfield, VA
Post #: 3
Also if you become a major host for events, we'll add you to the event organizer list. We are trying to keep the organizers to a minimum so there is less confusion.
smile

Sincerely,

Michael
Jared R.
user 57440192
Vienna, VA
Post #: 2
Brian, I am also in Tysons/Mclean, and would be willing to help you organize and plan an event up here. Let me know what I can do to help!
Kristen S.
user 4106204
Annandale, VA
Post #: 51
Since the Friday games nights have been filling up, maybe you want to have your event on a Friday to give people an alternative? I'd still rather watch movies, but you could have a games night and catch some of the overflow if you wanted.
Brian
user 10719610
Mc Lean, VA
Post #: 4
I can do movies or games, or even a bit of both provided one group doesn't mind a little noise from the other.

I don't have any board games, they are all packed up a coupled hundred miles away, but if others wanted to bring some they can certainly be played.

Whatever seems to be more in demand of what I can do is quite fine with me. :)