add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Chicago Geek Women Message Board › Chicago Architecture Tour

Chicago Architecture Tour

A former member
Post #: 15
I found a company that offers architecture tours around Chicago, but there are a few I am interested in so I wanted to see if you could help me decide.

1. Highlights by Bus:
This bus tour covers 30 miles of Chicago design, with sites in the Loop, Hyde Park, the Gold Coast, the Lakefront, two university campuses, and several parks and residential neighborhoods. Stops include the Rookery in downtown Chicago, Mies van der Rohe’s IIT campus and the Robie House in Hyde Park.
This is their most comprehensive tour, lasting 3.5 hrs. $45/person

2. Gold Coast: Astor Street
Discover the architectural treasures of the Gold Coast, one of Chicago’s most affluent neighborhoods. See residential architecture along Lake Shore Drive and in the Astor Street Historic District, with elegant homes in the Romanesque, Queen Anne, Tudor, Art Deco, and Modern styles. Learn about the celebrated people who have lived here and the remarkable events that have occurred.
This is a walking tour, lasting 1.5 hours. $15.00

3. The Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise:
Aboard Chicago’s First Lady is a “must” for out-of-towners and Chicagoans alike. CAF certified volunteer tour guides—called docents—interpret more than 50 buildings along the Chicago River, revealing how the city grew from a small back-country outpost into one of the world’s most important crossroads in less than 100 years. Tour provides an overview of historic and modern architectural styles, plus many stories about the people who designed and built our city.
This tour is 1.5 hours. $35.00

If you want to read more about any of these head to:

These pretty much all run all Spring and Summer, so if you are interested in one let me know the best times for you (prefer a weekend!).
A former member
Post #: 1
The river cruise sounds awesome! I'd prefer to wait until it warms up a bit, especially if we'll be on the water. Thanks for investigating these, Liz!
user 8500343
Chicago, IL
Post #: 10
I'm new to Chicago, but several of my Chicago friends say the Seadog Cruise is the best one - not only informative but entertaining as well. I'm up for a tour whenever. There was also an underground one that looked interesting.

Here is the other one as well:
A former member
Post #: 2
The underground tour looks amazing. I'd be up for both!
Evanston, IL
Post #: 73
A boat tour sounds awesome and so does going underground! Are any of these places haunted :) I am a geek who loves ghosts....
user 8500343
Chicago, IL
Post #: 11
Today's Groupon is a boat tour:­
A former member
I would definitely do an architecture tour of Chicago. :D
A former member
Post #: 4
Looking to revive this post since - anybody still interested? I tried to follow the underground link but it didn't work. I just did an underground tour of Portland and it was AMAZING - would love to find one here.
Susan J.
user 20822401
Indianapolis, IN
I've always wanted to do one of the architectural boat tours but have never got around to it. An underground tour also sounds like it could be fascinating. I'd love to do either/both of these if anyone else wants to go.
A former member
Post #: 2
I recently took the Chicago Architecture Foundation river cruise. It was fun and interesting, but the sound system was really horrible. We had to strain to hear the tour guide at all, and even then many times couldn't hear him. We passed several other river tour boats and I noticed that we could hear the guides on the Wendella boats much better than the guide on our own boat, even from quite a distance. The Wendella boats seemed like a little more of a party atmosphere too. If I take another one, I would definitely pick them over CAF.