addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Geek Girls of San Diego Message Board › Graphic Novel List/Recommendations

Graphic Novel List/Recommendations

A former member
Post #: 1
I found the title of the graphic novel I had mentioned at the end of our comic book club meetup:

The Stuff of Legend by Mike Raicht (author), Brian Smith (author), and Charles Wilson (Illustrator)
user 12533619
San Diego, CA
Post #: 5
So we have chosen Little White Duck: A Childhood in China by Na Liu to read for February's Comic Book Club. I figured that since I suggested it, I should provide some information about it.

There are 5 copies at the San Diego city library, but there are none owned by the county library. However, the county library's interlibrary loan partners have a total of 11 copies of the book, so it can easily be gotten through the county library, even though they don't own it themselves.

FYI, there is a NY Times book review of Little White Duck at­
user 9987079
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 74
OOOH! I have some, I always forget to write them down and bring them in (hint: the person who suggests a book to me closest to the time of book club is usually the one that gets announced). Anyway, here we are:

Castle Waiting-- Linda Medley Fairy tales reworked though a feminist lens
Reading Comics-- Douglas Wolk This is the "how to read comics" book I mentioned at book club
Psychiatric Tales-- Darryl Cunningham Stories about different types of mental illness
Casanova-- Matt Fraction Non-linear spy story starring a dude who looks like Mick Jagger
Jar of Fools-- Jason Lutes A story about a middle aged magician, his life, and his aging mentor. PROBABLY DEPRESSING.

You can also see my Amazon wish list on the subject:­

Oh, and Mouse Guard because it is AWESOME.
A former member
Post #: 2
I LOVED the Doctors WIthout Borders One, read it together with a friend two summers ago and still have wonderful mental images of their trek into the hills of Afghanistan horseback
A former member
Anything by Charles Burns, but especially Hard-Boiled Defective Stories.

Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron by Daniel Clowes is amazing, too
user 9987079
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 93
We did read Black Hole. I don't know if most of our group enjoyed it though, but I will certainly be reading that!

And yeah, we need to get to some Daniel Clowes.
Danielle C
user 9591397
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
How about East of West?
user 88519812
San Diego, CA
I've been meaning to read The Graveyard Book graphic novel. I read the paperback prose novel by Neil Gaiman a few years ago, and have heard good things about the graphic novel retelling. Gaiman re-wrote his prose to go along with his partner's artwork.­­