Geek Nite Out Message Board Gaming › Host/Players Needed for Dresden Files in Maryland

Host/Players Needed for Dresden Files in Maryland

Matthew B.
Maverick-Knight
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 152
I'm starting up a Dresden Files game in Maryland, and I'm looking for a host as well as a few more players.

I'm looking for a host who is non-smoking, and preferably has nearby parking. (I am handicapped and can't walk far. If your place is wheelchair-accessible, such as an apartment, I can travel farther for parking; otherwise, I have to come in on a cane.) Metro access is helpful for many players. We're looking for something in Montgomery County or PG County. Pets are fine. A table isn't needed.

-----

The Dresden Files are a series of urban fantasy novels by Jim Butcher, set in modern-day Chicago. The world describes the usual elements of an urban fantasy (your neighbor might be a werewolf, and your missing classmate might have been taken by a vampire, and that weirdo on the next street over might really be a wizard), but is famous for doing so in a fresh and even realistic (as much as a fantasy can be) manner.

The RPG based on the series takes all of these elements into a classless, skill-based game system where you are rewarded for your own creativity. In many cases, you might have abilities that aren't found in the book, instead using the rules to grow your own unique traits. No two characters will be alike.

The game I'm starting up, titled Disorder and Chaos will be set in the DC Metropolitan Area. It is set after the events of the twelfth book in the series, and contains spoilers for the world-affecting conclusion. (Other spoilers may exist because of table conversation as well as depending on which characters are in the game who might have a connection to Chicago or other series events.)

-----

System information for those who don't know what it's like:

Fate is a classless, skill-based game system, where you build a character with points. Your abilities may not always be from the book; the game encourages you to use a certain basis for comparison and then make up the rest on your own. Creativity is a must.

Your character will have three things to describe him: aspects, skills, and stunts/powers.

An aspect is something that describes a physical or mental trait about your character. You have seven permanent aspects and can gain and lose many temporary ones as the game progresses.

For example, a character who can't lie might have Honest to a Fault, which would both be a hindrance (when the party needs to conceal something) and a benefit (when needing to convince someone of the truth).

If an aspect is negative and causes problems for the character (or, even better, for the party), he gets a fate point. Fate points can be used to trigger aspects when the player wants to. Invoking an aspect lets you re-roll something or gain a bonus to the roll (both of which can be done after you made a roll), or you can make minor story-edits ("Hey, you know that tool I really need right now? I've got it! What a coincidence.").

Skills are rolled on a range of -4 to +4. There are several skills which reflect different things, including weapon attacks. Your skill levels also determine how much "damage" (called stress) you can absorb before things really count: physical (Endurance), mental (Conviction), and social (Presence). Pretty much anything else you do is covered by one of the other skills.

Stunts and powers run off of the same source of points. A stunt is something non-supernatural, and is always tied to a skill. A power is always something a normal human can't do, from non-human traits like wings or claws, or something fully-supernatural like magic of one sort or another. You start with 9 points in this campaign, and use them to purchase stunts or powers. Anything left over is used to determine your minimum number of fate points per day. (And if you're a pure mortal, with no powers, you get two extra points.)

Experience with the Fate system is helpful but not required.

-----

If you're a new player looking for a good group who will be patient with you, you've come to the right place. If you're an experienced player looking for a good story-based game, come on down. I've got seven years' experience, mostly with new players, and draw heavily on my experience as a fiction editor and writer to weave a story around your characters' actions. Don't hesitate to ask for more information on this game if you're curious!