addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Geeknight Dallas Message Board › Good start to a New Year!

Good start to a New Year!

R. J.
RHJensen
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks to all who attended last night. We had several new people show up.

We did discuss what to do next and decided to work through the Seven Languages in Seven Weeks book.

It is available on Amazon in print form for $23.07 (I got the ebook from Pragmatic Bookshelf for $22.00).

So, how are we going to approach this?

Next Wednesday (01/11/2012) we will make sure everyone's system is set up for Ruby (that being the first language covered in the book). If you are already set up for Ruby--great!

So, besides getting people set up for Ruby we'll discuss what we hope to get out of this endeavor and make sure we set expectations appropriately.

Here's my idea for how this could work:

• We will then make sure we are set up on our machines for the next week's language. For example, on 01/11/2012 we will make sure we're ready for Ruby and on 01/18/2012 we will make sure everyone has IO installed [the second language covered in the book].
  • Between weekly meetings we will individually work through the chapter on the current language. Each chapter/language has 'three days' with a self-study section for each and a wrap-up on the language. We should attempt all the exercises and be ready to discuss the issues we had completing them (if any) and our own conclusions about the week's experience.
  • On a given Wednesday (starting 01/18/2012) we discuss the language covered in the last week. For example, on 01/18/2012 we will discuss the Ruby stuff we explored from 01/12/2012-01/18/2012. On 01/25/2012 we'll discuss IO and so on...

• 01/18/2012: Ruby
  • 01/25/2012: IO
  • 02/01/2012: Prolog
  • 02/08/2012: Scala
  • 02/15/2012: Erlang
  • 02/22/2012: Clojure
  • 02/29/2012: Haskell

I hope y'all are looking forward to this as much as I am!

Richard Jensen