Geo DC Message Board › Announcing our August Meetup, among other things.

Announcing our August Meetup, among other things.

Kathleen D.
user 13701646
Berlin, DE
GeoHerd,

I hope you've all had a great few weeks and are staying cool in all of this heat! This will be a bit of a longer update-- I've got some announcements and a few procedural questions to ponder with all of you. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is my pleasure to announce our August Meetup, happening in two weeks on Wednesday, August 3rd at 7pm. We will once again be meeting upstairs at Stetson's on U Street. The format for the night will be 3 10-minute lightning talks. We're still finalizing the line-up, but here's some of what you can expect:

Glenn Waldron, of Pelican Mapping in Fairfax, VA will be speaking to us about 3D web maps. The main focus will be on the emerging WebGL technology and how it enables accessible 3D map development. He'll also talk about what's missing and what kind of stardards or best practices need to evolve to support 3D web maps. Finally, he'd like to gauge the community's interest in the tech and talk about potential applications.

Eric Gunderson, of Development Seed in DC will present a case study of a mapping tool they built to analyze data on violence against journalists in Afghanistan. This won't be technical, more of a "here's the problem, this is why we mapped it like this, and this is how we mapped it" talk.

Once the third lightning talk is finalized you'll be able to find it on the event page.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fellow GeoNerd Kevin Webb wanted to let the group know about another upcoming event (which he also added to our meetup group):

Hey, I just wanted to let you know about an upcoming event that
might be of interest to the GeoNerd community. My organization,
OpenPlans, is kicking off a collaboration with Mobility Lab, a
project of Arlington County Commuter Services, to develop
innovative new tools for transit information.

We're holding a planning meeting on the 23rd of July and would
like to invite folks to come give input on the project and help
plan next steps. I posted a "suggested event" and would love to
get the word out to folks on the GeoNerd list.

Thanks,
Kevin

If you'd like to RSVP for this event: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1907281731­

If you have any questions for Kevin: kwebb@openplans.org

Out of curiosity, would there be interest in creating a GeoNerd Google Group? I know that Meetup.com can send out a lot of emails, so I have tried to limit what I'm sending out to the group, but a lot of group members have updates in between meetups (event announcements, discussion questions, job postings, etc) and it would be nice to get those communications somewhere so that people who want to take part in those discussions can do so, and those who would rather just hear about the meetups don't have to opt-in in the first place. Another option would be for us to use the Meetup.com discussion boards that are connected with our group. I've set up a poll to get some feedback. Let me know what you think!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, we're going to try to reserve a few minutes at the meetup for brief announcements from the group. If you have something you'd like to share, please let me or one of the other organizers know and we'll make sure you have a moment to speak.

Whew. That's all for now-- Hope to see most of you in two weeks!
Cheers,
Kathleen