addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Geo DC Message Board › Get ready for Oktoberfest! (Or, maps + beer = fun times)

Get ready for Oktoberfest! (Or, maps + beer = fun times)

Kathleen D.
user 13701646
Berlin, DE
Fellow GeoNerds,

Believe it or not, we're already halfway through September, which means that October is creeping up on us, and with it-- Oktoberfest! For those of us who won't be traveling to Munich for the blessed event, we'll be having our very own celebration on October 5th at 7pm at Stetson's.

Joy Adams of the Association of American Geographers will take us on a tour of the American beer-scape. We'll explore beer through the lens of cultural geography, starting with the origins and diffusion of brewing in the U.S. to patterns of consumption to the use of place images in the branding of microbrews. Prosit!
Be sure to RSVP­!

In addition to Joy's talk, there have been a lot of geo events over the past few weeks and I know that a lot of DC geonerds have been out mingling w/ the rest of the geoherd. We'll hear brief recaps from some of the folks who have been out of town at events like FOSS4G and State of the Map.

Reminder: the GeoNerd Google Group is a great place to post events, questions, and other related discussions. This is where we try to post the presenters' slides after our meetups as well as pictures and other fun stuff. Check it out and set the email frequency to whatever strikes your fancy.

Also, if you're a twitter-type, there's a @GeoNerdsDC­ account that is still getting off the ground. Follow for 140 character geo goodness.

See you all in 3 weeks!
A former member
Post #: 1
Guten Tag, y'all! (as we say in Central Texas!

I am really excited to be repping for cultural geography at next month's geo-gathering! I told Kathleen I felt a little like a geo-dork at the August MeetUp because I'm not much of a technician, and she graciously invited me to present at the October geo-gathering. Thanks to all for reaching out and making me feel welcome in the nerd herd!

Looking forward to next month's MeetUp and hope to see all'a y'all there!