Geo DC Message Board › Researching GIS careers... interested in education options

Researching GIS careers... interested in education options

A former member
Post #: 45
Hello everyone.

I am new to the group, and would like to introduce myself. I live in Northern VA, and am seeking to learn more about GIS, and career paths in the industry. I have a background in CAD, Facilities management, Drafting, and other architectural/ engineering disciplines. However, I have been frustrated with finding employment in those fields and would like to learn GIS and enter that world as I see there are many opportunities for jobs, better careers, and more stability than what I had as a contractor doing CAD.

I am looking to stay in the D.C. area as this is home, and where I am from. I would like to get more information on schools, degrees, certifications, and other industry specific topics that would help me get started.

So, with that, if you have any thoughts or would like to share your story about how you got into GIS, where you went to school, any tips, etc, I would like to read them and consider what you have to say.

Very curious to meet the members of this group and get started soon, perhaps in the fall.

Thanks so much!

Michael J.

mike_janicki @ hotmail.com