Welcome to Toastmasters International
Looking to improve your speaking and leadership skills? Ace a job interview? Ignite your career?
You’ve come to the right place. Since 1924, more than 4 million people around the world have become more confident speakers and leaders because of their participation in Toastmasters.
Toastmasters International is a world leader in communication and leadership development. Today, our membership is 280,000 strong. These members improve their speaking and leadership skills by attending one of the 13,500 clubs in 116 countries that make up our global network of meeting locations.
Membership in Toastmasters in one of the greatest investments you can make in yourself. At $36 every six months, it is also one of the most cost-effective skill-building tools available anywhere. Read more about the Features, Benefits and Value of a Toastmasters International membership.
How Does It Work?
- A Toastmasters meeting is a learn-by-doing workshop in which participants hone their speaking and leadership skills in a no-pressure atmosphere. A typical group has 20 to 40 members who meet weekly, biweekly or monthly. A typical meeting lasts 60–90 minutes.
- There is no instructor in a Toastmasters meeting. Instead, members evaluate one another’s presentations. This feedback process is a key part of the program’s success. Meeting participants also give impromptu talks on assigned topics, conduct meetings and develop skills related to timekeeping, grammar and parliamentary procedure.
- Members learn communication skills by working in the Competent Communication manual, a series of 10 self-paced speaking assignments designed to instill a basic foundation in public speaking.
- Members also learn leadership skills by taking on various meeting roles and working in the Competent Leadership manual. In our learn-by-doing approach, we don't lecture members about leadership skills; we give them responsibilities and mentoring to help. Then we ask them to lead.
Why should I join?
The Toastmasters program offers many benefits that help people in all walks of life. As a result of participating in Toastmasters, you will:
- Increase your self-confidence
- Become a better speaker
- Become a better leader
- Communicate more effectively
Membership is affordable – a great value that can change your life that costs less than a dollar a day. Your initial investment:
- $20 New member fee
- $36 Dues for six months, plus any club expenses. (Some clubs may charge a nominal fee in addition to the regular dues for items such as meeting space and club supplies.)
More than 4 million people have discovered the benefits of this proven learning formula. What are you waiting for? Joining is easy – just a few simple steps:
Visit a Toastmasters club. You can find clubs near you by using the Meeting Locations tool.
- Each group has a different personality, so you may wish to visit more than one. Your visit is free, and some clubs may allow you to return as often as you like.
- It’s easy to find a time and location that works for you. Meetings are held seven days a week, mornings, afternoons and evenings. It’s a good idea to call or email in advance to confirm a group’s meeting time and location.
At the meeting, ask the vice president membership for a membership application and fill it out.
Give your application and dues to the vice president membership at the club.
- Once you are voted in by the existing membership, the club officer will send your application and fees to Toastmasters’ World Headquarters.
- Your New Member Kit should arrive in the mail in about two weeks (kits outside of the U.S. may take longer).
We provide a supportive and educational environment for members to develop and improve public speaking skills, primarily through giving speeches at our meetings on a topic of their choosing that fits the Toastmasters curriculum. Our meetings, of typically 15-25 people, also include impromptu speaking and leadership opportunities. All of these are given evaluation feedback. Visiting observers are welcome, but are encouraged to join after a few visits.