addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
This Meetup is cancelled

Backpack-Chattooga River Trail RESCHEDULE

  • to

  • Indian Trail Park and Ride

    1825 Indian Trail Lilburn Rd, Norcross, Ge (map)

    33.930561 -84.178101

  • I drive a slate grey Toyota Tundra Pickup Truck.
  • RESCHEDULE

    All stays the same

     

    Winter Backpacking on the Chattooga Scenic River Trail into South Carolina:

    We will hike north on the South Carolina section of the Chattooga Scenic River Trail, starting at the trail head @ Russell Bridge off Highway 28 (N[masked] W[masked]).

    This will be primitive camping.  Weather can vary greatly this time of year, it could be zero it could be 60 degrees.  Be prepared for winter weather conditions.  At minimum you will need a 20 degree bag, good sleeping pad (2.5" or better"), and correct clothing.

    Elevation gains are minimal. There are a couple waterfalls on the trail.

    This trail joins the Foothills Trail around the Lick Log Falls area, up to Burrell's Ford Campground.  Distance will be about 7-8 miles each day, depending on weather conditions.  Right now I am setting this up as an "in and out" hike, total distance would be about 15.0 to 16.0 miles for the weekend.

    We should be back in Atlanta early Sunday evening, stopping in Clayton to eat after finishing the hike

    50% or greater chance of rain will cancel event. Snow on the ground will not cancel as long as we can get to the trailhead.

    Minimum of 4 participants required for the event to take place.  If you have been a no-show on my previous trips I will move you to the wait list.

    This is for Adults only.  I am okay with canine pals as long as they are well behaved.

    If you are carpooling, we will meet at the Indian Trail Park and Ride, just off I-85, at 7:30 AM and leave promptly at 8:00 AM.  This should put us at the trail head at around 10:30 AM. 

    Carpoolers should help with cost, a guideline is $0.40 per mile is a guideline and cost should be divided between everyone in the vehicle.

    Basic items you will need, tent/hammock, sleeping bag/pad, rain gear, 1-2 liters of water, lunch (2), dinner (1), and breakfast (1), plenty of snacks, etc....You can find detailed pack lists on REI,com and Backpacker.com, to help you determine what you may need to pack.

    I will have a water filter/bucket, saw, and a bear rope for hanging food bags.

    Although, I would rate this hike easy to moderate, distance will be the big issue not the terrain.  You should have some miles with at least a day pack under your belt.  If your unsure call me and we can discuss.  Make sure your up to carrying a 30 lb pack for two days.  We will move at a moderate pace, stopping to enjoy the trail and taking in the scenery. Make sure you can move at a moderate pace, I don't want the group strung out all over the trail

    Please call me at[masked](cell) if you have any questions about equipment or the event.

Join or login to comment.

  • William

    Here is the latest NOAA forecast:

    Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 30. Calm wind.
    Saturday A slight chance of rain after 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 55. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
    Saturday Night A chance of rain after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
    Sunday A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 54. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
    Sunday Night A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

    I will amke a decision tomorrow when I get back to Atlanta. Right now its a 50/50 chance I will rescedule with rain.

    January 29, 2014

  • Anna B

    if this event get re-schedule again, i think i should be put back on the list :-) just saying ..lol.. still would like to this event

    January 28, 2014

  • henry

    My shop just shut down for tomorrow so they may want us to make it up Saturday, if they ask I will have to go make up the missed day. just a heads up otherwise we will be there with packs on not bells...(:

    January 28, 2014

    • William

      understand, I am actually in New Jersey watching the mess in Atlanta...wow

      January 28, 2014

  • William

    Current NOAA weather forecast for Clayton, Ga., area:

    Friday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

    Saturday A chance of rain and snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 51. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

    Saturday Night A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
    Sunday A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

    January 27, 2014

  • henry

    I just put me on the waitlist, but it will be the normal crew with me.

    January 22, 2014

    • henry

      We are doing great. Is this part of what we did years back?

      January 26, 2014

    • William

      yep only we are going in about 4 mile further north past where we camped before

      1 · January 26, 2014

  • Anna B

    Please add me in if there is any drop out :-) Thanks

    December 29, 2013

    • Anna B

      Ok.. I changed my RSVP to NO for Feb 1st reschedule date. I'm already signed up for Cold Mtn/Vance lodge. Next time I guess :-(

      January 9, 2014

    • William

      anybody can stay in a lodge....lol

      1 · January 9, 2014

  • Mary Allison H.

    Changing my R.S.V.P.--darn it - Board meeting in Montgomery on Friday and staying for a work related event all day Saturday -- rats - Maybe I fill find something here next weekend after our monthly Pinhoti--- I need to get out!

    January 9, 2014

  • Kenneth

    Sorry I had some frozen pipes from the the freeze and I am still trying to get everything fixed.

    January 9, 2014

    • William

      no problem we are we rescheduling anyway....sorry about the pipes that is not fun

      January 9, 2014

  • William

    Given the weather forecast I am going to reschedule this trip, bit to soggy for a one nighter.....I will post a new date later today. Don't want to keep everyone on pins and needles...

    Friday A chance of rain. Patchy fog before 2pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 47. Light northeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
    Friday Night Showers, mainly after 8pm. Areas of fog. Low around 44. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
    Saturday Showers. Areas of fog before 10am. High near 54. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 9 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
    Saturday Night A chance of showers, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

    January 9, 2014

  • John U.

    please remove me from the wait list

    January 6, 2014

Cancelled

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy