As of last night GYCO reaches 100 meetups. That is HUGE!! I am just amazed and in awe. And without sounding cliche' I have to thank this leadership team. You have all contributed in your own special way sincerely. You have given me/others sensible advice when I needed it, led meetups flawlessy, made suggestions, encouraged safety and others to take classes with the incomparable, incredible, and dynamic Richard Bothwell, made newbies and others feel welcomed, gave of yourself/your time/your car/your food on campouts/your resources/your gear!!!
Some of our successes:
- Reddit & Twitter mentioned us
- Hans Florine, El Cap speed record holder joined and led 3 meetups at Diablo Rock gym
- People chiming in about us from Portland, Europe, Thailand, Kentucky, New York, Utah, Arizona
- Thailand - aking 7 people to Thailand in March which was an amazing feat (special mention to Aaron Fong for helping then)
- Being #25, then #5, then #15 most active meetups in bay area (within 5 mile radius) as per meetup.com
- #1 - As per our own inventory we seem to be #1 climb meetup in NorCal (bay area)
- Went from 1 to 679 members from December 2011 to November 2012
- Passed another climb meetup (who took 2 years to reach 400+) in less than a year with quality members (in a friendly non competitive way)
- Google saw our success and wanted us to use their products
- Sports Basements wants to comp our Holiday party
- We were able to organize meetups to see Reel Rock in 3 counties (SF, Santa Clara, & Contra Costa)
- Instrumental in getting people to get lead certified across 4 different climb gyms
- Auburn Quarry - First climb meetup or group to lead a meetup successfully at this new climb locale (it opened Sept 26)
- Founder of GYCO did a first ascent at Auburn Quarry (Diagon Alley, classic 5.6 lead) and rated it first on mountainproject.org
- Partnered with CCC (Cragmont Climbing Club) on a meet and greet meeetup (thanks Miki). CCC is a classic, well respected bay area climbing group that is pretty elite and careful about who they let in group or parner with
- Diverse meetups on calendar to Joshua Tree in Socal, Moab Utah, Red Rock Las Vegas (Thanks Peter)Potrero Chico Mexico and hopefully to China next year
- Partnering with San Diego meetup groups for Red Rock, Las Vegas in December
- Contests that resulted in REI and Sportsbasement giveaways
- Tshirt contest happening soon
- Gyco Founder bought the domain getyourclimbon.org (site still being developed)
- Bringing people together for lasting friendships
These are pretty amazing feats. :)
I cannot tell you how proud I am of us, of this of me. Yes I'm giving myself a pat on the back as I kicked butt trying to build a community and we did...build a community.
I'll leave you with this comment I got this morning that illustrated above our wins and touched me in a profound way:
"Thanks a lot man, and I appreciate all the work you have done to enrich the climbing community in the Bay Area. I hear people talk about GYCO all the time, and your group has provided tons of people the opportunity to climb in the great outdoors, which is the heart of the sport. Cheers......"
THANK YOU ALL! Here's to making 2013 even better!! WOO HOO! :)
Ambassador of Fun!!!
Edited by Michael Dorame on Nov 16, 2012 1:31 PM
Post #: 420
That's AWESOME man!! Congrats!! Hopefully, some day, I can make it down!!