addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Get Your Climb On Message Board › AIARE Level 1 Avalanche class next weekend- MLK

AIARE Level 1 Avalanche class next weekend- MLK

Richard B.
Richard_Bothwell
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 205
Hey GYCOers,

I know it's a bit off topic, but I also know a lot of GYCO peeps ski and snowboard, and are interested in getting into the backcountry. I'm teaching an AIARE Level 1 avalanche class next weekend (MLK), in Lassen National Park. Right now there are still a few openings in the class. GYCOers can claim the discounted OAC member price for the class, too!

We all know the importance of avalanche education...take advantage of the three day weekend to take this class!

The basic 411:
3 day class; Sat, Sun, Mon
Accommodations can be arranged at the Outdoor Adventure Club house in Mineral ($100/weekend) or at Mineral Lodge ($85/night, I think)
No avalanche training is necessary
You don't need to be a great backcountry skier/snowboarder to take the class, but you do need to be able to travel through the snow. Snowshoes, skis, splitboards are all welcome. We (the Outdoor Adventure Club) rent splitboards and beacon/shovel/probes, if you don't have them.

The OAC version of this class included a blue AIARE Field Book. It's the most important tool we have for making good avalanche decisions, so we include it in the class price. (most providers charge an add'l $25 for the field book)

The class will teach you how to identify avalanche terrain, how to use and understand the avalanche advisory, the importance of observations...lots of observations, and will provide a framework for making good decisions in planning and in the field. Additionally, you will learn the companion rescue process, and how best to practice it.
The class is a mix of classroom and field time. There is a mix of class and field time on Sat and Sun, then on Monday we will go for a backcountry tour, using the information and techniques you learned in class.

For more information about the class, and to register: http://outdooradventu...­

Let me know if you have any questions.

Richard Bothwell
AIARE Level 1 and 2 Avalanche Instructor
Outdoor Adventure Club