Girl Develop It Boston is offering our first Introduction to ruby! We are partnering the Launch Academy and RailsBridge to extend learning for students new to ruby.
Ruby is an incredible language to use when learning to program! It’s easy to get up and running, and learning ruby is the first step to learning Ruby on Rails, a rich and powerful framework used to build web applications.
In this class, you will learn to:
• Get started with Ruby
• Understand the Ruby development environment
• Learn the basics of ruby
• Learn the basics of object oriented programming
• Learn the basics of Test Driven Development
• Discover how to debug errors
***********UPDATED DUE TO WEATHER****************
Install Fest: Wednesday, February 12th – 6:30pm-9:00pm
We will be hosting an Install Fest the night before the course to help people get their environment prepared for the class. There will be good tunes and refreshments. Please ensure you have anything required ready before you show up for the class.
Ruby on Rails Classes:
Wednesday, Feb 19th - 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Wednesday, Feb 26th - 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Wednesday, March 5th - 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Wednesday, March 12th - 6:30pm - 8:30pm
• Your laptop. You need to have a working wifi connection and a modern browser.
• For the best experience, we recommend you have a Mac or a Linux operating system.
• If you’re on a windows machine, we will be using Vagrant and Virtualbox to set up our development environment.
• Power cord for your laptop
• A GitHub Account - registering is free!
Prior Knowledge Needed:
Some prior web development experience would be helpful, but not required.
Meet your teacher:
DAN PICKETT Co-Founder of Launch Academy
Dan is Co-Founder and Head of Experience at Launch Academy. Dan has been building web applications with Ruby on Rails since 2004, the year Rails was first publicly released, and is Co-Organizer of the Boston Ruby Group. Dan is an activist for both the Rails framework and code literacy. He has a demonstrated passion for teaching and mentoring aspiring developers.