This class is completely full and there is a waitlist with 20+ students. We cannot accommodate any additional students in this class. But the good news is that we have another class scheduled for April 12!
This class is a four-week series meeting from 6-8 p.m. on March 19, March 26, April 2, and April 9.
Want to learn how to build your own website? Already have your own site and want to have more control over it? Interested in learning to program but want to start small? If you answered yes to any of the questions above, this course is for you!
If you've experienced frustration when trying to build your own websites before...
have no fear! Girl Develop It will help you tackle the basics of HTML and CSS without breaking a sweat. This beginner-level program will teach you the basics and help you along the way as you develop your own website.
By the end of the class, HTML and CSS will no longer be your foes. You'll be like:
Dates: Wednesday March 19, March 26, April 2, and April 9 from 6-8 p.m.
Location: Groupon at 600 W Chicago, 4th Floor in Hello Food.
• Your laptop (Mac, PC, or Linux are all okay).
• A modern web browser - either Chrome or Firefox with Firebug installed.
• A text editor. We recommend Sublime Text 2 (free; available for both Mac and PC).
• What is HTML? How does it interact with the browser?
• Basic layout of an HTML page, including nesting.
• Basic HTML elements, such as paragraphs and lists.
• What is CSS? How does it work? How do you use it?
• Font changes, color changes, styles, layouts, and positioning with CSS.
• Using divs, spans, ids, and classes to style your content.
• The box model, floats, columns, headers, and footers.
If you are unsure if you should take Intro or Intermediate, use the above topic list to help to determine which class is more suited to your skills. Intermediate classes will be scheduled in the coming months.
Instructor: Stephanie Finken
Stephanie is a front-end web developer at GiveForward. She studied graphic design and quickly learned she loved the problem solving that came with it. She was fortunate enough to be introduced to web design and development where she could combine her interests in design and technology. She has a passion for learning and giving back to the community. She loves supporting local businesses and restaurants, and enjoys traveling, drawing and zoo visits.
Hosted by: Groupon
I'm sure there's no need to introduce Groupon to you - you've probably used one of our great deals. What you probably don't know is some of the cool things that we're working on in-house. From our flagship Groupon site down to our new Breadcrumb POS system, Groupon is brimming with opportunity. And with our world class engineering and design teams in Chicago, Palo Alto, and Berlin, we're gearing up to make a new Groupon a reality.
Note: you must provide your first and last name as it appears on your ID when you RSVP for building security.