addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Girl Develop It Philadelphia Message Board › Is website building the same as web page creation?

Is website building the same as web page creation?

Tee
user 14375744
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 28
Hi, all! I'm taking a class this semester called Web Design I. I'd eventually like to start creating web sites for individuals and businesses, but I'm not sure if this class is the right avenue. My interest peaked when I wanted to create and maintain my own website for a non-profit I'm thinking of getting off the ground. Someone told me that there is a difference between website maintenance and simply creating a web page, but did not give details after that. I am unfamiliar with what I need to learn. Below is a description of the class. Any advice would be really helpful and greatly appreciated! Thanks!

This course provides comprehensive instruction in the Hyper- text Markup Language (HTML). Topics covered include how to create a simple Web page with images and hyperlinks, how to create and modify tables, how to create and modify forms, how to create and use frames to display multiple Web pages at the same time, and how to format a Web page using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). Instruction is provided on how to enhance a Web page with sound, video, and Java applets. The course also provides in-depth instruction on the World Wide Web and Internet technologies as they relate to retrieving and displaying Web pages.

Tei
Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 36
Hi Tei,

This sounds like a UArts class. If I'm right, I've actually taken it with Karissa. Who do you have?

If you want to create websites, this is the right class for you. You're going to build HTML5 pages and learn the proper way to style them using the latest standards.

As far as the differences between maintaining and creating sites, time is the biggest factor in a number of ways. First, building a site from scratch is more intensive. Second, maintaining a site is going to require you going through someone else's code which can be time consuming in it's own right. You're going to have to learn how to do both if you want to do this for other people so I don't think it matters either way :-)

I hope that was helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.