Girl Develop It Philadelphia Message Board › IMPORTANT: Our plans for 2013

IMPORTANT: Our plans for 2013

Yasmine M.
We've officially been around since September 2011, or 15 months in total. In all, we're one of eleven Girl Develop It chapters worldwide.  It's exciting to see the organization grow, especially from the inside. We recently held a GDI retreat in NYC to discuss plans to standardize our material and process as well as grow to 40 (Yes, that's FORTY) chapters by mid-2013.

Our Philly chapter specifically has held 35 Meetups including 18 classes (16 of them in 2012), 8 study groups, 2 happy hours, 5 party organizer meet-ups and one smashing party to celebrate our one-year anniversary.

Our member signup rate has been steadily growing as well. We're now at 689 with the writing of this post, an improvement of almost 300% from last year.

In short, we've grown to three organizers in total, we're starting a Girl Develop It Scholarship Fund of which $900 (which will pay for 10 classes) has already been committed thanks to Bear and &Yet (a software development shop), we're launching a Mentoring Program, a front-end developer track and a mobile track. We're also offering more advanced classes, introducing soft skill workshops, and collaborating with other tech groups.

Before I go more in-depth in each of those areas, I'd like to introduce two co-organizers who are helping make all of this happen. Corinne Warnshuis has been assisting since late Summer and Lisa Burgess just came on this month. I met both of them through our classes at Girl Develop It. Corinne is the newest Event Coordinator at Technically Philly and Lisa is the Marketing Manager at Uhuru Furniture in Center City. They're great ladies who are passionate about our goal of increasing technical literacy among women - get to know them!

Continue reading...

-Yasmine (GDI Philly Leader)

yasmine@girldevelopit.com