Once again we'll help to sort food donations at the Philabundance Hunger Relief Center in South Philly (literally down the street from the stadiums, just off Pattison Ave on Galloway St).
- Start time is 8:45am, we will be done by 12:00pm. And they give us a break about halfway through.
- Volunteers are asked to be on time. We'll receive an orientation (starting at 8:45am) from thevolunteer coordinator for Philabundance, and then go to work. If this is your first time, you will need to fill out a brief volunteer application.
- Wear sneakers or other flat/closed toe shoes. The warehouse is pretty clean, but it is a warehouse and jars of sauce can break. Wear old clothes. If we're assigned to the cold pack room, they have jackets and gloves we can wear.
- Warehouse volunteers must be 14 or older.
- They have lockers (and locks) for volunteers to store personal items.
- They have a water jug/cups, but no coffee. Eat breakfast/buy coffee before you arrive!
- Free parking in their lots next the building or anyplace along Galloway St.
Philabundance reduces hunger and food insecurity in the Delaware Valley by providing food access to those in need in partnership with organizations and individuals.
Philabundance is the region’s largest hunger relief organization. In 2010, we distributed 21million pounds of food across the Delaware Valley. We serve low income residents at risk of hunger and malnutrition, of which 23% are children and 16% are senior citizens. We get food directly into the communities though our direct services programs or through our network of agencies. These agencies include food cupboards, neighborhood distributions, shelters, emergency kitchens and various social service agencies. Philabundance provides a reliable source of food to 9 counties in the Delaware Valley.